• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle adjustment.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some time I've been scratching my head over the RH wheel sticking out further than the Left. Even though the wheel is not straight it's obvious in the pics. So While I have the front end apart I've been inspecting and measuring.

Notice the paint on the RH side does not match up with the spring by about ½ inch. When measuring the distance from the upper steering pin to the spring the RH is about 1” further away.

So My plan is to move the stands to the spring like an axle removal, as per the TM, loosen the U bolts , lower the axle slightly and move the axle housing to the left about 1/2” or until the pins distances and equal.

Looking at the parts manual and any pics I can find, there appears to be a button or something built in the axle housing that keeps the perch axle mounts in the correct position. If this is the case it can't be moved that I can tell.

Is my thinking straight? The button would either need to be ground off or removed if possible to position the axle wrong. Can't find any reference to this in the TMs.
Is there more to moving the axle than this? Not taking it out so not lines or shocks need be disconnected

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For some time I've been scratching my head over the RH wheel sticking out further than the Left. Even though the wheel is not straight it's obvious in the pics. So While I have the front end apart I've been inspecting and measuring.

Notice the paint on the RH side does not match up with the spring by about ½ inch. When measuring the distance from the upper steering pin to the spring the RH is about 1” further away.

So My plan is to move the stands to the spring like an axle removal, as per the TM, loosen the U bolts , lower the axle slightly and move the axle housing to the left about 1/2” or until the pins distances and equal.

Looking at the parts manual and any pics I can find, there appears to be a button or something built in the axle housing that keeps the perch axle mounts in the correct position. If this is the case it can't be moved that I can tell.

Is my thinking straight? The button would either need to be ground off or removed if possible to position the axle wrong. Can't find any reference to this in the TMs.
Is there more to moving the axle than this? Not taking it out so not lines or shocks need be disconnected
The springs have a pin that sticks out of the "bottom of the stack".
Not sure what the real name for it is.
Guys at the spring shop call it the "Indexing Pin".

Both of them should have that pin.

The shackles that support your springs are both the same? (look the same)

----

I am just asking stupid questions now...
- The cab is centered on the frame?
- The fenders, maybe one was replaced back in the day. Any chance one of them measures wider than the other?
- No spacing or rubber on one fender and none on the other? (Yeah, not 3 inches for sure)

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
---

I am just asking stupid questions now...
- The cab is centered on the frame?
Have not checked it but the steering pins are measured to the spring.
- The fenders, maybe one was replaced back in the day. Any chance one of them measures wider than the other?
Same as above, unless there is supposed to be a dffence in the distance from the pins to the spring.
- No spacing or rubber on one fender and none on the other? (Yeah, not 3 inches for sure)
Just rebuilt the fenders and both have rubber.

At this point I would tend to lean towards the indexing pins being left out. Guess the axel would have to be dropped to determine.

I'll go check the cab location.

Thanks!

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK plan B. Moved the jack stands and dropped the axel enough to look under it. There is s "nub" or whatever it is called that fits in the 2nd hole of the lower leg seat. Can;t move the axle so I'll have to move one for now. Thanks anyway!

Jeepsinker

There should be a locating pin sticking out of the axle housing into the spring perches, and the spring center pins should seat in the same holes in the perches from the top. We have seen the pins on the axle tubes both rusted off and sheared off. I've also seen one that apparently never had the pins from the beginning. This allows the axle to shift of course. Yours could be sheared off from an accident or some abuse long ago, or just from the u-bolts being loose over time. Or they could just be very worn from moving around.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There should be a locating pin sticking out of the axle housing into the spring perches, and the spring center pins should seat in the same holes in the perches from the top. We have seen the pins on the axle tubes both rusted off and sheared off. I've also seen one that apparently never had the pins from the beginning. This allows the axle to shift of course. Yours could be sheared off from an accident or some abuse long ago, or just from the u-bolts being loose over time. Or they could just be very worn from moving around.
Thanks Jeepsinker !
That was definitely what I was trying to say :)

ldmack3 - please be sure to read the post just above this one.
Very similar to what was asked earlier - but Post #5 has a much better explanation.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... a locating pin sticking out of the axle housing into the spring perches, and the spring center pins should seat in the same holes in the perches from the top
Just to clarify: that locating pin actually goes into a second, separate hole, off-center & towards the rear of vehicle.

IMG_0536 [HDTV (720)].JPG

You- and prob. Mullaney may have missed what the OP said in post #4:
There is s "nub" or whatever it is called that fits in the 2nd hole of the lower leg seat. Can;t move the axle so I'll have to move one for now.
So the pin in question is there, and even if that "nub" and/or seat was worn out, it would not explain that much of a difference he measured, of almost one inch.
I still have no explanation for that.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no other ideas what it might be. I was pretty confident this would be the issue. But when I lowered the axle and raised the bracket I was actually disappointed. However, if the pin was gone the brackets would be the only thing keeping the axle in the correct position. It was actually a little concerning doing all this jacking and stand repositioning on gravel with only a bottle jack. I checked to see that the springs line up with the frame which they did. I may get a floor jack, two more stands and try again., pull the brackets for a close inspection underneath. But not before I can get it a little more stable and while I have the wheels, brakes, axles out. Now is the time!

Jeepsinker

I wonder if you might have a front axle that was meant for a V-100...

Other than a manufacturing defect, that's about the only other thing I can surmise.

I don't know for certain that V-100 axle housings had different spring perch spacing, but I can't think of anything else.

Jeepsinker

Just to clarify: that locating pin actually goes into a second, separate hole, off-center & towards the rear of vehicle.

View attachment 845314

You- and prob. Mullaney may have missed what the OP said in post #4:
So the pin in question is there, and even if that "nub" and/or seat was worn out, it would not explain that much of a difference he measured, of almost one inch.
I still have no explanation for that.
Ah, yes G, you are correct on both counts.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After complete disassembly found no 2nd pin on LH as well as plugged hole in perch. Interestingly enough a used set on ebay looked the same.
Parts are out getting bushings and races reinstalled and reamed. More later.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After complete disassembly found no 2nd pin on LH as well as plugged hole in perch. Interestingly enough a used set on ebay looked the same.
Parts are out getting bushings and races reinstalled and reamed. More later.
Hard to tell - but does it look like the pin is broken off in the perch?
Seems possible looking at that picture. Maybe?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to tell - but does it look like the pin is broken off in the perch?
Seems possible looking at that picture. Maybe?
Absolutely yes, 100%, as sure as day follows night.... :wink:
After complete disassembly found no 2nd pin on LH......
Ah, we are getting closer now... (to explain your shifted axle)

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried knocking the pin out, assuming that's what it is and looks that way. Not budging.
But at this point with no pin on the axle makes no difference. No clue why the RH pin failed to prevent it from shifting left/right.
Anyway with the reassembly I was able to get the steering pins within 1/8" of each other. I had to cut a U-Bolt as it was bent so decided to replace all four. After they are installed I'll look at the measurements again and also the fore/aft position.

Appreciate everyone's input. Even though resolved, still a head scratcher.

Last edited:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cannot find NOS ones from a Vendor, have those cleaned up and the bad holes bored/drilled and bushed. I'd fix the pins too.
They are available but how to position the pin in the axle so it is within the right position? Can't tell where the old one was assuming it broke off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks