• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle Boot 5 ton

benni72

hey group, need a little advice or maybe some help. went and changed my axle boots today on my 5 ton tractor, M52A2, and on the passenger side everything was perfect and went as planned. when i got to the drivers side i removed the boot about 2 qts of gear oil came out. now here's what gets me, i changed the front axle gear oil recently and what came out today from where the axle boot is was some dirty muck that's been in there for years so i know the seal isn't bad. it looks like it was taken apart before by the looks of permatex on the king pin covers. it has the late Ross power steering kit, is this some sort of upgrade or did someone at the motor pool put 90w in there instead of repacking it with grease by accident. i noticed 2 plugs on the axle itself, must be for re-lubrication or am i completely out of the ball park and yes they should be filled with oil? i know my 2 1/2 t has grease packed in there so just figured the 5 ton was the same. also a bit of stupidity on my part, should of followed my TM which clearly states to tag your air lines, i replace the poppet valve on the trans and neglected to mark which hose goes where on the sprag cylinder. if someone could be nice enough to let me know it would be a great help, i know where the supply line goes just need the front and top locations compared to front and back on the poppet valve. heres a pic of my progress on resto.thanks gang, Adam

Attachments

acetomatoco

Just enough grease to keep it from rusting... the upper and lower kingpin thingies are lubed by the fittings in those locations...Soldier #3 may have made a mistake, or at some time the diff was overfilled and with the vent blocked the oil went to see the knuckle.

m139h2otruck

Just did the inside seal (left side) on the tractor as gear oil was seeping out of the broken boot (see other post). Inside seal looked to be original, and the axle had a small ridge on it from either rust/water/wear. Used cookie wheel and cleaned up real good and reassembled with tube grease on/in the seal. Rear end housing gear oil level at or just below the fill plug with the truck on the ground and level (for ace!!).

benni72

thanks guys, yeah figured soldier #3 made a mistake just wanted to be sure. anyone willing to take a stab at my air line problem? thanks agian, adam