• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle 'oil leak'...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran the deuce yesterday about 200 miles (10 MPG!) and found something odd.

I thought the front axle boots were leaking badly. The previous owner has even provided two new boots and two new axle seals.

Before running down the road I did two things. First, I checked the amount of gear oil in the front axle and added two quarts that brought it up so I could stick my finger into it and feel gear oil. After that I took the truck over to a local car wash and cleaned both the inside of both wheels and the front axle.

When we got to Ft. Collins, I looked up under the front of the truck. It APPEARS that the front axle boots are not leaking, but the oil appears to be coming from the 'air breather valve'. Is this possible? I also then noticed that I MAY have lost some sort of plug on the bell housing? There is a spot for two plugs. One plug is there and one seems to be missing. It also seems to be leaking oil. Though the oil COULD be coming from the air breather valve on the front axle and then collecting on the bell housing? Is there supposed to be two plugs there?

ANY HELP would be appreciated in tracking this leak down. If necessary, I can crawl up under there and take some pix and post them later. jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, the plug on the bell housing is for fording only. It's stored in the boss on the side when not used.
Check the PS magazine section for notes on the breather valve maintenance. Discharging oil is not a normal function.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure that its not oil from the draft tube on the front axle? My rears on the tractor will burp a little gear oil if I run it a 60 for a considerable amount of time!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
THX for that picture. That's EXACTLY what mine looks like. So, obviously you want to put that plug in BEFORE fording operations commence.

I will look up the breather valve in PS. BTW, is this the valve made by Schrader? The reason I ask is because I have three spares. Just seemed like an 'odd' number... but just the 'right' number for three axles.

Kenny,
OK, WHAT'S a 'draft tube'? Learning, learning, learning!

thx jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The draft tube is connected to both valve covers and drops down on the right side of the engine. Guess another name would be crank case breather. As far as the vents, the older trucks had the vent in an inspection cover on the diff instead of the tube. I've considered moving mine.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, there are other breathers installed too, on top of the transmission and the transfer case.
It's best to unscrew them and check them by alternately blowing and sucking thru them. They are one-way valves and will open at some low pressure, about 1/2 psi or so, a spring loaded rubber disc inside will block any attempt to suck thru them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks