• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front battery charging to 12.5

Cmwalton

So I replaced gen 1 alternator because it was only charging to 10volts while rear was charging to 14 I had gen 1 rebuilt and right after putting it in it was charging to 14 like it should and I was getting 28v across both battery’s now a day later front battery is only charging to 12.5 and back is charging to 15 and I’m getting 27v across both battery’s what could be the cause for this? All battery cables and grounds are clean and tight also

update after driving it more the front battery is now down to 10volts like the gen 1 went bad again also my gen2 light comes on and my gen 1 light doesn’t and but I’ve made sure bulb and socket work in gen 1 but light still doesn’t illuminate

Last edited:

Der Dicke

Look at my problem and the advice from Tow4:

Barrman

12.6 volts is what the battery should be at with the truck off. If you don't have that, you need to charge the battery before you do anything else. You should also load test the battery.

How long are you cranking the engine to get it to start? Something is pulling voltage from your battery. Even with the glow plugs on, a normal battery in good shape will only get down to 10.8 or 10.9 volts during the glow cycles. Then it will bounce back to at least 12.3 with the engine off.

A normal 6.2 in healthy condition with a 24 volt starter should fire up hot or cold in less then a second after you start to crank the engine over. Anything over 3 seconds means something is wrong. Bad batteries, bad starter wiring, bad starter motor, bad glow plugs, bad glow plug relay, dirty fuel filter, bad injection pump, etc....

I daily drove my M1009 when I first got it with a bad alternator 1 for 2 weeks. I averaged 15 glow plug cycles and starts without the battery being charged before battery voltage would be below 11.5 volts. Then I would charge for an hour and be good for another 15 starts. Something is wrong on your truck if you go from 12.5 down to 10.? in just one drive without the lights, heater and wipers on.

Cmwalton

12.6 volts is what the battery should be at with the truck off. If you don't have that, you need to charge the battery before you do anything else. You should also load test the battery.

How long are you cranking the engine to get it to start? Something is pulling voltage from your battery. Even with the glow plugs on, a normal battery in good shape will only get down to 10.8 or 10.9 volts during the glow cycles. Then it will bounce back to at least 12.3 with the engine off.

A normal 6.2 in healthy condition with a 24 volt starter should fire up hot or cold in less then a second after you start to crank the engine over. Anything over 3 seconds means something is wrong. Bad batteries, bad starter wiring, bad starter motor, bad glow plugs, bad glow plug relay, dirty fuel filter, bad injection pump, etc....

I daily drove my M1009 when I first got it with a bad alternator 1 for 2 weeks. I averaged 15 glow plug cycles and starts without the battery being charged before battery voltage would be below 11.5 volts. Then I would charge for an hour and be good for another 15 starts. Something is wrong on your truck if you go from 12.5 down to 10.? in just one drive without the lights, heater and wipers on.
sorry, I should have been a little more specific with truck running it was 14.5 after having alternator rebuilt then I put about 30 miles and checked it again and it was down to 12.5 while running then after another 15 miles it was down to 10 volts while running, battery’s are from 2019 Napa commercial battery’s but I will have them tested to make sure 1 or both didn’t go bad

Barrman

Was the heater on high, lights on and wipers flapping? Even then it shouldn't drain the battery that fast. Check your batteries and have them load tested. Then go from there. You might have a bad alternator, but something else is going on as well.

Cmwalton

Was the heater on high, lights on and wipers flapping? Even then it shouldn't drain the battery that fast. Check your batteries and have them load tested. Then go from there. You might have a bad alternator, but something else is going on as well.
no they were not on for those voltages but when I would turn them all on the front battery would drop to 9volts, I will charge battery’s up and have them load tested thanks

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no they were not on for those voltages but when I would turn them all on the front battery would drop to 9volts, I will charge battery’s up and have them load tested thanks
Sounds like one or more of the battery cells are shorted. The battery load test will tell all.

Cmwalton

Had them load tested yesterday they both tested 900 out of 950 cca so he told me they are still good guess it’s time to check gen 1 again after having it rebuilt 2 weeks ago, I’m also only getting like 3 volts with key turned to on at the white exciter wire and it’s spliced into this pink wire under steering column is that correct?

Attachments

Cmwalton

unfortunately I think my alternator is hooked up correct and I’m still having problems I may try using jumper wires to see if that helps solve my problem

Attachments

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This info may help, may not.

Cmwalton

unfortunately I think my alternator is hooked up correct and I’m still having problems I may try using jumper wires to see if that helps solve my problem
This info may help, may not.

Thanks for the suggestion, I can try cleaning circuit board again but I wiped it off with my finger because there was a little bit of build up on it and still no luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks