• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front cover oil seal needs replacement?

TLangM998

Hey Guys! I replaced my oil pan gasket last week because it was leaking in a couple spots, but then this week I noticed a drip forming at the bottom of the crankshaft pulley. Does this look like it may be the front cover oil seal? Anything else it might be? TIA!IMG_6565.jpg

Dock Rocker

Make sure it’s not oil from a leaking valve cover running down to the bottom. Chances are it is the front seal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you change the front seal. Change the harmonic balancer while you have it off. Any groove on the balancer where the seal rides will greatly shorten the life of the new seal. Also if there is any cracked rubber between the hub and ring on the balancer, it is bad and needs to be replaced. A bad balancer will break the crankshaft. It's happened to me.

Bighorn

If you change the front seal. Change the harmonic balancer while you have it off. Any groove on the balancer where the seal rides will greatly shorten the life of the new seal. Also if there is any cracked rubber between the hub and ring on the balancer, it is bad and needs to be replaced. A bad balancer will break the crankshaft. It's happened to me.
What this guy said.
You will need a special tool.
Harmonic balancer removal/install tool.
You can pull steering wheels with this tool as well.
Get the Fluidampr balancer.. don't f around.
Do it right.
Nobody argues with quality when they see it and it improves resale value along with it's obvious benefits.

20180412_191108.jpg

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys! I replaced my oil pan gasket last week because it was leaking in a couple spots, but then this week I noticed a drip forming at the bottom of the crankshaft pulley. Does this look like it may be the front cover oil seal? Anything else it might be? TIA!View attachment 725032

Thats also a common leak point for the front pan lip...clean it first and watch where it’s coming from.
if the seal, replace the HB with an OEM AC delco
I wouldn’t waste the money on the others...stay away from Dorman.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks