• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front differential breather removal

Squibbly

I know there are some clever people here. One of the jobs I’ve ignored on this M1009 since I got it was the differential breather. The PO snapped it off or something and the breather tube was tucked up and wrapped around some stuff. This looks completely round. Do the barbs on these usually have a place to attach a wrench and that snapped off or did they just round the thing completely off?

Any ideas how to remove it short of pulling the front diff off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are some clever people here. One of the jobs I’ve ignored on this M1009 since I got it was the differential breather. The PO snapped it off or something and the breather tube was tucked up and wrapped around some stuff. This looks completely round. Do the barbs on these usually have a place to attach a wrench and that snapped off or did they just round the thing completely off?

Any ideas how to remove it short of pulling the front diff off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
weld a nut to it and it'll come out...I think it's a 1/8 inch pipe thread that you hook a hose to that runs up to the drivers side radiator hose mount.

faststandard

Squibbly, I would caution you on this approach. Back in the day GM often used a fitting that was pressed in and only featured a machined barb as a means of retention in the housing that it was pressed into. Your breather has obviously been snapped off. The round base that is left is indicative of these pressed-in barb type fittings.

Think about it from the manufacturer's perspective - if this had a machined pipe thread as indicated earlier, how would GM have installed in without the typical flats seen on a fastener?

That said, I have seen these barb type fittings removed via prying in the past. It is sometimes time consuming and not very easy to remove them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks