• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front springs, 3 vs 4 leaf

ehuppert

M1008:

So, have upgraded (this year) from a 7.5' to 8' Fisher speedcast plow.

Headers and exhaust installed when truck redone were fine until I started plowing last year. These were used Hookers from my Camaro... Header to front shaft interference is pretty common on the square bodies. Replacing headers would mean redoing front pipes, which are new! Only sags .5 inch when plow lifted currently, but suspension bounce will cause issues. (Shocks are good/new)

So, thinking of installing new 4 leaf packs for a little additional clearance. I could install zero rates, but if I went that route I'm halfway to spring install (labor wise)! U bolts were replaced when truck redone, have never been on road and will come apart...

How much harsher is ride with the heavier springs?

Anyone installed 4 leaves and documented additional height?

thanks, Eric

cucvrus

I had the 4 leaf on several CUCV pickups. I had a huge commercial grade 8FT Western. It was awesome. It rode firm with little or no bounce. New springs all the way around. I could haul 2 skids of salt and the 8FT Western with no problems. Unfortunately someone fell asleep and ran off the road with that truck.
1635528298792.png
1635528404265.pngHere are the springs with the part numbers.

1635528338486.png
I hope that helps. I have been putting new springs on every CUCV I rebuild. I like the stance and it returns the vehicle to stock ride and height. Toss the lift kit springs on a few. Scrap is still high priced. Good Luck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
M1008:

So, have upgraded (this year) from a 7.5' to 8' Fisher speedcast plow.

Headers and exhaust installed when truck redone were fine until I started plowing last year. These were used Hookers from my Camaro... Header to front shaft interference is pretty common on the square bodies. Replacing headers would mean redoing front pipes, which are new! Only sags .5 inch when plow lifted currently, but suspension bounce will cause issues. (Shocks are good/new)

So, thinking of installing new 4 leaf packs for a little additional clearance. I could install zero rates, but if I went that route I'm halfway to spring install (labor wise)! U bolts were replaced when truck redone, have never been on road and will come apart...

How much harsher is ride with the heavier springs?

Anyone installed 4 leaves and documented additional height?

thanks, Eric
Just thinking along with you... The 4 spring leaves measured against 3 leaves should be the same height. There could be a difference if adding that third chunk of metal was designed to add more carrying capacity. Different spring companies do it differently. Some add to carry more weight. Others do that and the extra leaf is to add ride height.

LT67

My 85 M1008 has a flat 4 leaf in the front. It's easy on the pavement, but off road it's stiffer than I care for...

ehuppert

Springs are in. Raised it apx 1.25 inches. Half inch of that is thicker spring pack (4 vs 3 lv) Will probably settle a bit but higher capacity will alleviate the interference issue . No clue as to road manners, as not currently liscensed....

Definitely going to need some sort of step, getting too old to jump in and outcucv springs.jpg!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks