• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frustrating oil leak Mep-002a gear cover and oil seal

storeman

Guys,

I am frustrated today. My "pride and joy, jewel of a generator" with a "slow" oil leak up front showed it's true problem today.

I have 4 meps in various states, Parting out an 003a and getting ready to part out an 002a. trying to get the 3rd one (002a) running and thought I had the "jewel" best of the 4 about right.

Yesterday i got a reasonable load tester from a HVAC repairman friend. A 10kw emergency heat backup unit with squirrel cage from a heat pump air handler they had replaced. Disconnect one wire, you have a 5kw resistive load. add 2 hair driers or 2 other small 1500 watt heaters and you are at 95% with one heater, 110% with two.

Fortunately my Jewel handled and recovered from all load combinations, she even ran the 10kw load without dieing but backed down to 55 volts and struggled to stay running, as one might expect. I only did this on 10kw load for a minute or so. I ran her at 110% for over an hour and switched AC breaker on and off repeatedly to see how she recovered. the problem noted was sometimes when load was removed, she went to peg on volts and could not govern down to start point. This did not happen every time I cut load but at least 50%. Don't know how to address this.

The more worrisome thing is that my "slow leak" near the oil front turned into a slow mist of oil starting at the top of the fan shroud. I gather I have a bad gear cover and gear cover gasket. The small ear on the right of the gear cover is distorted or cracked,

I have 2 donors sitting here between the 5 and 10 kw units but I don't know if I started right. I have a small harmonic ballencer puller which I ruined today along with the small threads on the fan housing trying to pull it to get at the gear cover. What does it take to pull that fan? I presumably have to do the same on a donor and need to figure out a heavier duty puller solution.

All-in-all, a good day from the load testing but now back to square one. Help!

Jerry :beer:

jbk

it might be the oil cooler leaking. they get alot of vibration. i used a small gear puller on the fan, with a gentel tap from a hammer. its a tappered fit. check your ground were your nuetral is bonded to the frame ground. clean it up good these can cause all sorts of problems.

Last edited:

storeman

thanks. i tried the gentle tap but will try again with a bigger gear puller (if i can find one) that doesn't rely on the small bolt pattern 5/16', i think. too light for the job and puller's bolts pulled the threads out of the fan.

Keith_J

A 2-bolt puller with 5/16x24 tpi bolts works great. I got mine from NAPA.

The voltage regulation issue might be from excessive load. Unless it was frequency related.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks