• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Hood recovery - Epic FAIL

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
shredder.jpgScreenshot_2016-10-05-12-15-40.jpgSo last week I took my M925 to towbar a truck a buddy won. Blew a right steer tire 20 miles from the gate. I missed my GP pickup window.

So I went back this week and tried again.

First off, lots of problems with the air system. It wouldn't take air. I found two places it was blocked, disassembled the front valve, and launched a big chunk of something.

Then it would take air, but was leaking faster than it was taking air. Someone had removed a pressure sensor off the top tank. I robbed a pressure sensor off another truck and installed it on that one and got it to take and hold air.

Once it would take and hold air, it wouldn't roll.

Most likely the brakes are frozen to the drums. I beat the brakes with a sledgehammer without result.

I locked the front axle on my truck and dragged it 75 feet or so with the wheels locked, trying to jerk them loose. Rocked it forward and back. No go. It can't be flat towed like it is.

I'm now into this 1200miles of driving, 2 nights in a hotel and a night in the back of the 5ton. And I've accomplished exactly nothing.

And to add injury to insult, the tire that blew slapped my right front fender as it departed and damaged that. GFD!!!

Picture of last week's shredded tire, and the ruts where I dragged the truck with ocker up wheels...

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Now that makes what should have been an enjoyable and rewarding mission turn into a long drawn out nightmare. Sympathize with your woes, been there..Hoping you conclude the trip without further mishap,..(you have had your fair share!)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you try to cage the brakes that were stuck? Not happy to hear GP is allowing cannibalization of trucks sold or about to be sold.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks! Wish I were closer to help out... I agree with NDT, cage those brakes and head for home before something worse happens!

Best of luck.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Highly not surprised about any of this from North Hood. Those trucks have sat a looooooong time. This is the same yard I flat towed a M923 (dropped the axles as the T-case wouldn't budge), truck had NO fluids at all (listed as no oil), and both front bearing locked up on the way home. If I can help I'm about 2 hours away but I'll hustle over if it makes a difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks