• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Polk pick up

Headed over this week with 5ton tractor to pick up shop trailer. Which gate should I go in to make it easier? I have insurance and title info as well as retired Army ID. Anything else to get on driving a 5ton?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a M915A1 at Ft. Polk last year. If you don't have a military ID, you have to enter Ft. Polk through the Main gate on US 171 about 2 miles north of LA 10. Can probably go through any gate with your army ID. The guard will direct you if there's a specific gate you need to go through.

Good luck.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've got a 5-ton truck, I don't believe you can go in the main gate, which conflicts with the requirement for a visitor pass if you don't have a military ID. I'd call base security and get the information from them, as their requirements seem to change every time I go there.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was always under the impression that with a trailer or truck, you had to use the commercial/truck gate down the road from Hwy 26? (not sure hwy# but the main 4 lane hwy from Alex).

That is the one I always use.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That gate is on LA hwy 10, located at the 90 degree turn at the SE corner of the main base. If we're thinking of the same gate.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That gate is on LA hwy 10, located at the 90 degree turn at the SE corner of the main base. If we're thinking of the same gate.
That is the one I have used several times with success. The first time was in the Deuce and although we 'weren't supposed' to use the gate, the guard let us through. I do remember him mumbling something about 'the guys at the front gate are always changing gates for these guys' as I drove off. Try this one and the worse they can do is turn you around.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the gate at chafee road off hwy 28 going to Alec since I come in from New Orleans. This one has the 3 or 4 inspection lanes on the right for rigs and trailers to be inspected. I remember the sign on Hwy 28 saying truck entrance or commercial. Short drive through a small residential neighborhood and maybe 2 miles to the Gate and id checkpoint.

EO2NMCB

I was thinking the gate at chafee road off hwy 28 going to Alec since I come in from New Orleans. This one has the 3 or 4 inspection lanes on the right for rigs and trailers to be inspected. I remember the sign on Hwy 28 saying truck entrance or commercial. Short drive through a small residential neighborhood and maybe 2 miles to the Gate and id checkpoint.
That's LA469 hwy, off of LA 28 also a truck gate on the north side of the base.

All good info folks thanks. I use the gate off LA10 most of the time anyway. That is where I drove out of when I got the truck. I usually don't have a problem in a civi vehicle just trying to cut down on the drama before I get there. I have a retired military ID so they never mess with me anyway. Ya'll keep your email and text on. Long run across from MS in a 5Ton and back! My need Log support!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks