• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FT Riley recovery

reb87

I went to KS last wednesday with my m818 and m872a3 to recover my new m1009 and two container chassis trailers. Got to meet MWMULES(Dave) and another mv enthusiast. GL just put up a loading dock so I was able to drive my m1009 right onto the m872. The gl guy used a forklift to put one of the trailers on and then did the same to straddle the second one on top. I made the mistake to try a different way home and drove thru Manhattan ks. I decided to take a short cut and skip driving thru town. The road I took looked good on google but had one very bad hill. I was in second gear at the top and wondered if I might have to jump to low. Other than that had no problems getting home, just a little slow(averaged 40 mph). I thought I could lift the trailers with my jd450c but couldnt get high enough so I drove down into my ditch(try that with a convential semi). The very front of my tracks were not supported by the ground so when I tried to lift the trailer it was leveraging my back end about 2.5ft of the ground. So I called a friend who has been buying surplus for ever and he has a crane (had it since I was a kid) that I think he paid $500 for years ago. It picked up the trailers with no probs. One of the trailers has a locked up brake on one axle, glad I didnt try to pull it home. Im planning on going back to get my m313 on tuesday.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Good seeing and talking with you again. Glad your trip home was hot , straight and normal. We had a smooth trip also only bummer was carrying those 100 medical cans into the barn one at a time that evening. Your buddies crane is most Kool!! Take care Dave

Last edited:

reb87

Couldnt buy them if I didnt have a good use for them. Im thankful to have them. The 6x6 addiction started with me getting stuck about a year ago. I was putting our 6x2 grain truck away and got stuck in the driveway. The driveway was just a little muddy and I about floated the valves trying to get out. Then and there I decided I needed 6x6 to get grain out of the fields during harvest. We had just gotten done with harvest and ended up stuck a lot and unloading on the road(instead of the field) because the combine could get in the field and the trucks couldnt. Getting stuck was the back breaking straw. This year I was able to use my first m818 with grain trailer to move corn out of the wet fields and it worked great. It needs a 3.5 and 4.5 gear to go a little faster but I dont really need speed as the bin site is usually 1-2 miles away. Im looking forward to getting a box on my m919 and having 400hp on tap with lots of gears to select from.

Attachments

reb87

I think you are going to need to build your own loading (er, unloading) dock!

I have a loading dock but couldnt get to the side of the trailer without driving into the ditch. Im going to cut the side of the ditch out square so I can acess it for future unloads.

reb87

I just got back from my trip to get my new M313 from FT Riley. On the way down I got passed by a cool 8x8 mv. I wasnt able to get much of a pic but I got the back of it accelerating away from me. I was pushing 56mph and they flew past with no probs. The trailer is nice with no real probs, recovery is sure a lot easier when nothing has to be chained down. The m818 pulled the m313 great and really didnt slow down much on hills. M313 has a nice aluminum ladder and 3/4 drive ratched with socked for expanding the trailer. Took a pic of a military crane that I saw at an abandoned truck stop around Washington KS. Its been sitting there for at least 6 months.

Attachments

Last edited:

reb87

The last pic is the 3/4 drive ratchet(used to expand the body) with a 1 inch socket roll pinned on. I wonder what that cost the mil.gov when new.
In the body one of the lights has been taken out and it looks like it maybe shorted out a little. The pin in the rear door is to unbolt the side doors when the body is out(I think) I will expand the body when I get a chance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks