• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel burning heater wick and you

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having taken apart a number of the SW heaters (the Benmar heaters don't use a wick), I have found that the wick has either been burnt to a crisp or been very sooty. The wick is vital to the operation of the heater, it brings the fuel into the vaporizer and I suspect that the kind of fuel used contributes to the problem.
Reading about "kerosene" space heaters, you'll find that diesel is not a fuel of choice, it ruines the wick in short order. K1 clear kerosene should be used and the same should apply to our MV heaters.

My solution is to run the heater from a separate fuel tank, which gives me the option to run it on anything, certainly not biodiesel/veggie or used MO.

Just a heads up if you have trouble keeping your heater running or even starting.

The image shows a jerry can marked "Diesel" for this purpose and any fuel can obviously be used regardless of what's in the main tanks.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, "Diesel", but will have kero in it. I think marking it "Kerosene" may draw too much attention to it, since kerosene is not for highway use....I may simply paint over the marking....

I'm currently looking for an adapter like the one on the genset jerry can, so that the fuel line can be attached semi-permanently.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use "through hull" fittings, or weld "bungs" on to the can surface? What did you use for a pickup tube?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
these heaters start and run much better on gas that kero. and are much quieter. they are after all multifuel, including gasoline.

tom

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you might want to seperate the vent from the rest of the system. wouldn't want to introduce fuel to the brake system.
Yes, on the deuce they are separated already, the 8x8 uses 100% air brakes and there is no venting in the "traditional" sense.

Right Tom, using a separate fuel tank for the heater(s) like this, will permit any fuel, including gasoline to be used.

Jesse, get a copy of the next Military Vehicles magazine (Feb issue), article on fuel burning heaters coming up... :)

om617

I am happy that I stumbled onto this thread. I have been contemplating the same thing for my SW10530B for my crewcab deuce. Very Nice solution you have there.

om617

Thanks (cranetruck) for the useful info and research you have shared with the forum. My heater is now installed and operational in the crew cab. I utilized a jerry can and am running kero. It fired up in 65 seconds on the first try. My heater has a build date of Feb 2002 and I am getting air temp reading of 250-300 degrees F. These heaters are wonderful. thanks, Don

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks