• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel cap replacements?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need a new fuel cap for my M923. The little pot metal fillers in the four holes corroded to the point where they started leaking and falling out. The only reason I can think why they exist is that they would melt during a fire and allow pressure to escape the fuel tank so it doesn't explode but either way I need to fix it. My first reaction was just to seal up the holes with JB weld or something similar but the threads on my fuel cap are buggered up a bit so I'm looking for a replacement. I thought I read somewhere here there are plastic fuel caps that are pretty good but the search function doesn't like searching for 'cap' (too short a word). I didn't see anything in Wes's parts list but I'm sure someone knows an interchange number. Thinking about locking versions or versions that are easy to screw on/off by hand. I can quickly find original brass caps for $50-60 but what other options exists for replacement fuel caps?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I need a new fuel cap for my M923. The little pot metal fillers in the four holes corroded to the point where they started leaking and falling out. The only reason I can think why they exist is that they would melt during a fire and allow pressure to escape the fuel tank so it doesn't explode but either way I need to fix it. My first reaction was just to seal up the holes with JB weld or something similar but the threads on my fuel cap are buggered up a bit so I'm looking for a replacement. I thought I read somewhere here there are plastic fuel caps that are pretty good but the search function doesn't like searching for 'cap' (too short a word). I didn't see anything in Wes's parts list but I'm sure someone knows an interchange number. Thinking about locking versions or versions that are easy to screw on/off by hand. I can quickly find original brass caps for $50-60 but what other options exists for replacement fuel caps?
My opinion is that a regular fuel cap is the way to go.
You can always use a little RTV on the inside of your new cap to keep the 4 holes in the top from corroding away over time.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion is that a regular fuel cap is the way to go.
I hear ya but my cap is pretty hard to put on or take off. I even removed the screen section and it's still a bugger. When I tighten by hand, I'm pretty sure I'm not even bottoming out on the rubber gasket. Using a large set of pliers gets me another turn or two but I still don't think it's sealing. Not sure if it's because the original fuel caps are just that tight or if mine is just that screwed up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hear ya but my cap is pretty hard to put on or take off. I even removed the screen section and it's still a bugger. When I tighten by hand, I'm pretty sure I'm not even bottoming out on the rubber gasket. Using a large set of pliers gets me another turn or two but I still don't think it's sealing. Not sure if it's because the original fuel caps are just that tight or if mine is just that screwed up.
I am thinking your cap may well be "screwed".
How do the threads on the tank look?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks