• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Element Replacement Question

houdel

In both the -209 and -361 series of TMs, the procedure for changing the fuel filters elements is to disconect the fuel lines, remove the fuel filter cannister heads and cannisters from the vehicle as an assembly and then remove the cannisters from the heads and replace the filter elements on a workbench.

My question on replacing the primary and secondary/final fuel filter elements - why can't the cannisters be removed from the heads while the heads are still attached to the vehicle? The secondary/final filter cannisters and attaching sleeve nuts are right out in the open and easily accessible; the manuals show a clearance hole in the mounting bracket over the top of the primary fuel filter attaching sleeve nut so the cannister COULD be dissassembled without removing the cannister head from the vehicle (my mounting bracket doesn't have the clearance hole, so the first time I change my primary element I'd have to do it the "Army" way and then drill a hole in the bracket for the next filter change).

So why do the manuals tell you to remove the cannister heads? Is there a problem getting the cannisters back on so they won't leak? It seems to me that removing the fuel filter cannister heads just to change the elements is a big PITA.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dunno why they say to do it that way. I did mine on the engine. Had no problems. Maybe it's to reduce the risk of messing up the canister seal rings. I know if the oil filter cans turn when installing, you ruin the gaskets.