• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Pump Filter

GreenRiverHenry

Let me start by saying that I'm not an experienced mechanic and I'm a poor computer searcher. So I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question or if there is a thread that already addresses it. I have a 925A1 with the Cummings NHC250. I want to replace the fuel pump filter. Aside from the cap being painted on and only having unobstructed access to 270 degrees of the surface for chipping paint, how the heck do you get this thing loose and off? Its round, so a socket or box wrench won't work. It's kind of buried so you can't get a pipe wrench on 180 degrees of it. The top is slotted like a regular screw or bolt, but a screwdriver isn't broad-tipped enough to get enough torque and a putty knife, though broad enough, isn't skinny enough to be able to make an unobstructed turn. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Let me start by saying that I'm not an experienced mechanic and I'm a poor computer searcher. So I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question or if there is a thread that already addresses it. I have a 925A1 with the Cummings NHC250. I want to replace the fuel pump filter. Aside from the cap being painted on and only having unobstructed access to 270 degrees of the surface for chipping paint, how the heck do you get this thing loose and off? Its round, so a socket or box wrench won't work. It's kind of buried so you can't get a pipe wrench on 180 degrees of it. The top is slotted like a regular screw or bolt, but a screwdriver isn't broad-tipped enough to get enough torque and a putty knife, though broad enough, isn't skinny enough to be able to make an unobstructed turn. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

There are two filters on the Cummins NHC250. One in the fuel injection pump filter (small, wire based) and One is a canister type.
There is also a screw-on filter adapter that makes the filter act like your car oil filter would be.

Maybe yours is different... Snap a picture maybe?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Leave it alone it only needs to be swapped in the event of a pump failure and is done at rebuild of the IP

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While Cummins put that in there literature about the screen filter and PT failure we are dealing with close to a 40 year old truck. Also some not so bright persons working on it while it was in service. There is no reason if you want to check if you feel you would like to for your own reasons. I would not open it up in less you have the new preform packing from Cummins as it is not an O ring that you can get from the auto parts store. Also I have bought the new screen filter from Cummins when I got the pre form packing. They say it is cleanable and it does have a magnet but I found it easer to just replace it. It has a cap you can remove and you can open the screen but it takes a little work to get the screen to collapse back to be able to get the filter cap back on. Myself I used a large washer that fit the slot in the cap and crescent wrench.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
While Cummins put that in there literature about the screen filter and PT failure we are dealing with close to a 40 year old truck. Also some not so bright persons working on it while it was in service. There is no reason if you want to check if you feel you would like to for your own reasons. I would not open it up in less you have the new preform packing from Cummins as it is not an O ring that you can get from the auto parts store. Also I have bought the new screen filter from Cummins when I got the pre form packing They say it is cleanable and it does have a magnet but I found it easer to just replace it. It has a cap you can remove and you can open the screen but it takes a little work to get the screen to collapse back to be able to get the filter cap back on. Myself I used a large washer that fit the slot in the cap and crescent wrench.
A monster screwdriver could work - but I really LIKE Floridianson 's idea of a big washer and a crescent wrench. Better control for sure!

GreenRiverHenry

Thanks, folks. I like the do nothing suggestion, but I drove the truck for 4 years without thinking that the fuel tank might be foul and by that time the fuel filter/separator was completely clogged. (Tank was full of gravel or sand, tar-like stuff and little red round things.) After boiling tank, blowing out tank-to-filter line and changing fuel filter, I better deal with the fuel filter pump too -- although a Q-tip up the outflow line of the fuel filter came out pretty clean. I'll try the washer trick. Thanks, again.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks, folks. I like the do nothing suggestion, but I drove the truck for 4 years without thinking that the fuel tank might be foul and by that time the fuel filter/separator was completely clogged. (Tank was full of gravel or sand, tar-like stuff and little red round things.) After boiling tank, blowing out tank-to-filter line and changing fuel filter, I better deal with the fuel filter pump too -- although a Q-tip up the outflow line of the fuel filter came out pretty clean. I'll try the washer trick. Thanks, again.
The filter is magnetic so it only catches what is caused in a failure

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are rust particles magnetic. Here is Schrodinger's cat. It's perfectly clean or it has trash in it but till you look it can be either one. Or true Schrodinger it is both till you look.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks