• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump problems MEP002A

ranchhopper

I picked up two low hour MEP002A generators recently the one fires right up and runs like a top the other has a transfer pump issue. I can turn the switch to AUX prime and hear the aux pump running but when the switch is turned to prime to run the main transfer pumps nothing happens no noise at all. I checked the wires going to the main fuel transfer pumps there is power going into both of them. I did disconnect the three connectors bringing the power to the pumps they all carried electric one caused a click sounding like it comes from the lower left bottom of the generator while facing the control panel when the female end of the connector is squeezed at the base. The click will happen each time the connector is squeezed but no power to the pumps while it happens the connectors and wires look like new.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That happened on my 003 too. Bad pump. Have you opened them up? Mine looked new, but the insides were nasty.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the fuel level is below the float in the tank, then all 3 pumps should come on when you are in the Aux/prime position. If they all come on or at least 2 of them (if the tank is full and the transfer pump is not needed), then the pumps are fine, and the problem lies in your master switch. If they don't come on in the aux position, then it's the pumps.

That being said, I think you are telling us you only get one pump to come on in the Aux position? If that's the case, then your pumps are probably bad like Gimp said. His were so full of crap we couldn't even get them cleaned out and had to replace them.

ranchhopper

I took the two pumps off today that dont seem to work and heres what I found, both pumps appear to be new and relativlely clean inside. If I take the pump still hooked up to its electric feed and ground the base where it bolts onto it will give out one click like a solenoid both pumps are like this is there a breaker somewhere in line to rythemically break the current to make them pump? These pumps have a two inch by one inch square box in line instead of the round cylinderical type the other generator does could these be part of the problem any help would be appreciated.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The square box and the cylindrical thing are the capacitors, not necessary for the pump to run, just there to protect it from spikes.

No breaker or anything like that either....the rhythm you hear is just the pump pumping. Even though they appear to be clean inside, doesn't mean the guts are clean. Unless I missed something when we tried to disassemble gimps pumps, we couldn't get to the impeller (or pumping mechanism) without destroying the pump. We had cleaned all accessible areas of his and they still wouldn't pump.

As far as sourcing them, NAPA can get Facet pumps as well as some other places. Getting them used, maybe one of the surplus dealers like Delk's or Gulf Coast Trucks.

ranchhopper

Can the unit be ran with the good pump pulling fuel from the tank instead of a outside fuel source if I take a line coming from the tank and attach it to the capped end of the working pump?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the switch is in remote, it uses the tank float switch to turn the remote pump off and on(keeping the tank full). It runs off the tank. So, in remote, you need both of those pumps functioning.

To simply run off the tank, you really one need one pump(it has 2 pumps from the tank for redundancy).

I contacted Facet directly a while ago. You may want to contact them and see what they can tell you.