• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump quit

Whiteclam

Gentlemen,
My in-tank electric fuel pump for my 1965 M151a1 finally quit and a new NOS pump costs $350. Has any one replaced their old fuel pump with a 24 volt, in-line electric pump? If so are there any tips on placement or tapping into the existing tank fitting. They sell them on E-Bay for around $60. Any opinions/advice, would be welcome and appreciated.

Jusjofok

When I first got my M151 it didn't have the in-tank pump so I tried the inline pump, killed 3 of them in short succession. You may have better luck with the military or aircraft ones if you decide to go that route but those are expensive. I am working on a mod to install a 12 volt in-tank pump but it involves an electronic component to drop the voltage and handle the amperage. I haven't had much time to mess with it lately so in the mean time I got a used pump from a member and have been running that. Can't remember what I paid for it exactly but think it was around $50, just had to clean it up a little to get things moving again.
Good luck.

Whiteclam

Actually, a member, via personal message, is already sending me a used in-tank pump. Keep me posted on your modification. thanks

1958 M274

In my opinion, if you are going with something other than the original electric in tank pump used on the M151/M151A1, the best option is to use an engine mounted mechanical pump for an M151A2. It's cheap, simple, reliable, and original to the M151 series vehicles...

Last edited:

1958 M274

The vacuum wipers are powered by both the pump and negative manifold pressure. If the vacuum pump is replaced with a fuel pump, simply connect the wipers directly to the intake manifold. Sounds like the original poster has a replacement original in tank fuel pump on the way anyway.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, if you go with the M151A2 mech fuel pump, you'll have to reroute the fuel lines to the other side of the engine then back around to the carb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks