• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel shut off solenoid exploded internally!?!

Hawkez

Looks like someone took a hammer to it.
No hammer was used on it by me I assure you. 😅 Most likely what Mullaney stated above. I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this before. It started getting hard to start. Then ran poorly and died several times on the previous owner. Sat for a few years. Then I came along and have been trying to get it back up to par.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Time for a new one. To investigate... peel back the plastic and look for the coil wires to have the enamel burnt off. Shorted winding/s is what we are looking for too. To check measure the resistance and verify against the book.

Yep, that's got to go, CAMO

If you need one, I have an old IP off a M1009.

Last edited:

Hawkez

I've seen em do it on the old 6.9 and 7.3 idi with with same db2 pump. It will make you scratch your head.
I figured it was somewhat on the uncommon side just because it is mine. Seems to be a trending thing with me and my passion projects. 😆😅

Keith_J

Energized to run. That 3 amperes or so at around 12.5 volts generates a bit of heat which normally is dumped to the fuel leaving the injection pump case.
Keep it energized without the engine running for a good length of time and this can happen. Like flat towing with key in and engine off to unlock the steering so the front wheels track.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, if the vehicle needs to track correctly (steering wheel unlocked) for towing (Tow Bar Towing) . . .

Is the right answer to disconnect the battery to avoid the problem in the picture below?
Or, Should it only be trailered?

OR is it just plain and simple old age and a new part wouldn't have done that?

1631142280249.png

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, if the vehicle needs to track correctly (steering wheel unlocked) for towing (Tow Bar Towing) . . .

Is the right answer to disconnect the battery to avoid the problem in the picture below?
Or, Should it only be trailered?

OR is it just plain and simple old age and a new part wouldn't have done that?

View attachment 844586
I think He might be talking about constant cranking with no start time after time?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think He might be talking about constant cranking with no start time after time?
No, the solenoid is powered (has electricity going to/though it) holding the valve in the open position against spring pressure any time the key is in the ON position (running or not). The solenoid builds heat as it's working.

To unlock the steering the key has to be in the ON position.

That's no big deal when the motor is running, because fuel is flowing through there pulling heat away. But if the engine is not running because you're towing the heat will just build up inside the IP around the solenoid, which shortens its life.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the solenoid is powered (has electricity going to/though it) holding the valve in the open position against spring pressure any time the key is in the ON position (running or not). The solenoid builds heat as it's working.

To unlock the steering the key has to be in the ON position.

That's no big deal when the motor is running, because fuel is flowing through there pulling heat away. But if the engine is not running because you're towing the heat will just build up inside the IP around the solenoid, which shortens its life.
Leaving the key on while towing would be hard on the glow plugs wouldn't it?

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes very. The TM states to never leave the key in the on position for any longer than two minutes or glow plug system damage may occur.
Kind of what I was getting at was that if leaving the ignition on caused the solenoid to crack, more then likely the glow plugs would have burned out before the solenoid cracked. I think Mullaney is spot on with the old age theory. Thanks to everyone who contributed the info regarding how the solenoid can overheat and be damaged It is good information and I learned something new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks