• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank help

kaiser2help

Can anyone give advice on my fuel talk. The tank is off a m54-a2 5ton. I have removed the tank to replace the sending unit. The tank straps are good. But the cushion material on the straps is hammered. Didnt know if anyone made their own fix or knows were I can get some replacements. As always, your help is appreciated. Thanks.

OSO

RE: Fuel tank

For the tank strap cushion . There is a product used in piping trades . When using material like unistrut, b-line there is a rubber material to go around the pipe and under a clamp that holds pipe onto the strut . About 1 5/8 wide has edges turned up black color, I had another brand was green in color. This black cushion material's name is CUSH-A-STRIP . I use it around copper water pipe to keep it from coming in contact with zinc plated clamps. That should work, comes in 25' rolls. Another name this stuff goes by is vibra cushon. I think ACME construction supply might carry it. Several stores on west coast . Any problems PM me and let me know how much you need . Was looking at my tank straps today , notice water runs down on top of tank and gets the fabric wet and starts the rusting process. Looks like I will be using the stuff on my rig. aua

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have used several things: cut a strip of the 90# felt roofing material they use to underlay roofing shingles. Also nylon type web strapping. It comes in different widths. It doesn't soak up moisture the way the cotton fabric stuff does. But if you want that, cotton stuff, (which lasts a long time) find a "Tent & Tarp" shop. They will have both in long rolls, different widths, & they will cut you off what you need. Its really in there between the straps & the tank, so they don't wear each other out, as the truck flexes and vibrates. If the materials mentioned above are really rubber, it will tend to deteriorate as it comes in contact with fuel.

Lee in Alaska

Bill W

The 5 hole fuel sender gasket can be had at any Marine store or even K-Mart or Wal-Mart, look in the sporting goods section where they have marine products ( Fuel tanks, bilge pumps) they usually have the gaskets there and they will fit your sender, just remember you have to rotate the gasket around until the holes match up being they (holes) are not symmetrical. I've got mine at a Marine store for a $1.98.

kaiser2help

Fuel Tank enlightment

Thankyou all. Posting these recommendations is wonderful. Preserves the purpose of keeping the iron rolling. Thanks for all the insight. If there is anymore I am like a info attic. So keep-em coming. Thanks to you all.

Victorious1!

I pulled a couple tanks of deuces and the material was shot. I went to Wal-Mart of all places and in their fabric department they sell a burlap/web type strapping about 2 inches wide. I replaced the tanks with it and its held up really well. And its cheap too, a couple bucks for enough to do 2 tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks