• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Leak - Semi Urgent

vespaholic

Last night I went out to the garage where I keep my truck and got hit in the face with a strong smell of gas.
Looked under the truck and found the tank to be leaking from the top!!
Last Friday I filled the tank before putting it into the garage and have not touched the truck since.
I'm sure the leak started yesterday at the latest because I was in the garage multiple times Friday-Monday Night.
The only thing I can think of is that the temperature went from being in the low 30's (Friday - Tuesday morning) to almost 50 degrees yesterday mid-day.
The leak is on the top of the tank in the area of the fill tube / breather.
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Could the change in temperature push the gas up and out the fill tube / breather where they enter the tank???
HELP!:tigger:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, carefully open the garage door and let it air out in there.

Yes, the change in tempurature can and will allow the gas to expand enough to cause your issue.

After the garage airs out, move it out and either run it(if the leak is not too bad) or siphon out some fuel.

Then, fix your tank!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the gasket between the pickup/sender and tank is deteriorated, or the various hoses that connect to the tank have cracked. It's very hard to work on the hoses, but it can be done. If it's the gasket, you either have to drop the tank or remove the bed to fix it.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
expansion pushed it out the vent tube, which is likely all cracked up. or the fill tube connector is dry rotted. Good news is they burn through fuel so fast it will quit leaking in a couple minutes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks