• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuels

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, on the data plate on the dash and in the TM's , it says you can run different fuels in the multi fuel engines and it's OK to blend. The local FedEx drivers, little package vans, like UPS, are required to fill their vehicles before returning to their home base. Well, i'm gonna say, at least 5 times a month, they..FedEx, have a van towed to us, with a complaint of..gas in the tank, thanks to the drivers, and it's around 30% gas, the rest diesel, if you put it in your hand, it still feels smooth and doesn't evaporate. Do you think that's OK to run in a multi fuel? If so, it would be a great source of free fuel, around 160 gal a month. Would there be any problems with the engine if I ran this?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can run it with and without the FDC bypassed. The FDC will increase the fuel delivery slightly to compensate for a lower BTU value of the fuel for a more constant engine power output.
When using the mix, add more diesel and/or veggie oil (biodiesel) to increase the lubricity of the fuel.

Westech

CPL
The 50% blend at the pump i found in Iowa some place, there was a big thing in the paper here in madison about it. I only filled up on it one time and I did not have any problems at all. (04 GMC 2500HD Diesel) As the deuce goes.... if it will burn/ light up in a diesel you can just about run it. But Crane is right you always want some sort of lube in the fuel. IE if running all gas (I have done) add a qt of motor oil or keep it 10% cut with diesel. I have only found one problem when running a thin fule (gas, paint thinner,ect..) sometimes its really hard to start, just does not like to kick over, but when it gets going and warmed up the power loss is small.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, can i tell from the outside if the FDC is bypassed of not?
All, almost all of the little FedEx package vans that are owned by FedEx, blue and red/orange letters..i'm a tad colorblind, are Cummins B series powered, mechanical or ISB. I'm sure this issue of putting gas in the diesel tank isn't isolated to So Cal. Try going to the local hub where these trucks are loaded/dispatched and let them know that you'd be interested in taking the contaminated fuel. If they don't do work on them there, look for the local Cummins distributor or dealer and let them know you're interested. It costs us, the Cummins dist. I work for, $400.00 to dispose of a drum of dieselgas whether there's 5 or 55 gallons in the drum...it's hazardous ya know. I should have thought about this a week ago, we just had a Penske truck, a class 8 with a single 110 gal tank, towed in full of half and half.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, WillWagner! Your my new hero! A deuce for pocket change is awesome. But now you say you have a constant supply of Free Fuel! Is the house next to you for sale, I'd like to be your neighbor. Seriously, thanks for the fuel source idea, I know several service centers nearby that I might be able to get "mixed fuel" from but I never thought of it until you said so.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been dealing with FedEx for 5 or so years. It has happened, I dunno, alot, like I said, easy 160 gal a month. It goes in spurts, sometimes alot, sometimes a little. i would even be willing to get it for others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks