• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuseable link

aboonski

I just replaced a length of wire known as a fuseable link that is in line with the driver's side alternator. I went to a local auto parts house and picked up some 14 gage fuseable link wire for less than $7.00. I just hope that it is thick enough to use as a replacement for the blue fuseable link wire that came with the truck. Ever wonder what is under the thick plastic cover that connects the two wires together? It took time but I managed to cut the cover off of the burned link to show that it is merely and insulator for the connection point of the two wires. At one time I thought the bulky cover was the fuse! Anyway, here's a few pictures that I would like to share of the replacement wire that is obtainable at most parts houses. The hardest part of making up a new fuseable link is crimping the large red wire to the smaller fuse wire. I used a large solderless connector and cut the eyelet off, them made the compression with a small pair of vice grips. I used shrink tubing and a heat gun to insulate the connection. So far, so good.

Attachments

aboonski

I did use a fuse holder at first and continued to see 30 amp fuses blowing left and right immediately after startup in the morning. The fuseable link allows for temporary periods of high current draw which would normally blow a fuse right away. The wire is meant to burn up and break the circuit thus protecting the electrical unit it is attached to - in my case, one of those expensive alternators!

tsmall07

Re: RE: fuseable link

gimpyrobb said:
No slow-blow fuses available? I'm sure you did your homework, just surprised.
Fusible links are pretty common. I had one save my tail when I accidentally wired up the battery backwards in my f150 (it was a new batter and had the posts switched).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks