• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fusebox fix for headlamps fuses blowing or arcing.

edpdx

I'd have made a few snapshots, but I know if you are reading this forum you are probably pretty familiar with the fuse boxes on these vehicles and can grasp what I am saying in your mind's eye.

After changing out my turn signal lever and harness, I found a few other things that were causing trouble after my dicking-around under the dash and knocking stuff loose.

My headlights were not coming on- as noted when I realized there was no indicator on the dash to let me know my signals outside were on/off. I found a 30 amp fuse intact in the headlight slot of the fuse box. Replaced it (same one) but had only a brief success. Lights went out almost immediately. Pulled the fuse and had a close look. One "leg" was bubbled like the finish was delaminating. (yes, HFrt) :whistle:. I put another- same brand... A New Low, I'm so ashamed . It went out in minutes, but did not blow. It developed a burn from arcing in the 35 year old clamps. As you have probably witnessed, the plastic fuse case was melted around the area of the clamp, and there was no way to squeeze the clamp together as a solution to the flimsy fit of the fuse. Either the clamp was too loose or the blades were too thin. I broke out my soldering iron and tinned both sides of the blades. They naturally developed a high spot that sort of locks them against the clamp once they are fully seated. Good and tight. Bless you.

I'm no EE, but I figure the business end of the fuse that is meant to blow is still intact inside of the plastic case, I doubt the addition of solder is any different than changing the wiring on either end of a fuse from 10g to 12g.

I know there are other solutions, but this seems to work on those bad, getting worse fuse holders.

Salty dog

I had a similar problem, the plastic in the fuse box was melted and the connector was actually cracked that it would not hold the fuse in, and the circuit would fail. So I replaced the connector and relocated it in the fuse box.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it doesn't address the already melted fuse box, one of the preventative cures is a relay harness for the headlights. Read the thread that Salty dog posted, there is a link in there to the harness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks