• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FYI: Wheels and tires

papakb

AMG sells shouldered washers that you can place over 3 or 4 of the wheel studs that will center the front wheel disc over the rear wheel half. This takes up the slack and is the reason AMG didn't feel it was necessary to use the tapered nuts. On a 12 blot wheel you need 3, om a 24 bolt wheel I'd use 4 so they're spaced evenly around the wheel. They probably also felt that by using tapered nuts there would be confusion between the wheel assembly nuts and the wheel mounting nuts. From another post:

They are called Pilot washers and the AMG part number is 6001844.

Kurt

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd ask how its supposed to be done since the 24 bolt wheels don't have the centering hole?
There are three holes, spaced at 120° which are a tad under Ø15.0mm. All other 21 holes are Ø16.0mm. Now... the protruding, knurled area on the studs measures 14.1mm, which leaves us with almost 1 mm of radial play, between both halves. While that doesn't sound to be much, it still is enough to a) best case: compensate- or at least reduce the radial run-out of the inner rim; or b) worst scenario: increase the run-out to possibly exceed 1/8"...(!)

So, if one wanted to take the extra time... mount the wheel assembly (no tire, no O-ring) on a wheel stand and determine (and mark) the most convenient position.
Since the outer wheel(centers) are stamped and then machined, everything including the outer bolt hole circle is relatively well centered on them. So it doesn't really make much difference, as how one would index both halves to each other.

Obviously the military doesn't care about a little tire wobble... and I must say that in most cases I have been "lucky enough", after just bolting everything together as it fit.
BUT... I also have had some of those same wheels so bad that the only cure was to enlarge those three holes; position/tighten the inner part to where it showed minimum run-out and then drill both halves to fit two Ø5/16" dowel-pins, placed at about 175° to each other (not 180°!).

Doing everything right the tire should spin like in this short video...
https://youtu.be/ap8my0e9Jl8

Last edited:

papakb

When the original postings were done on the G503 site Lynch Hummer was selling those washers for $.54! I know because I bought a bag of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks