• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA. registration by weight

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I went into the Bartow tag office today to get my title and tag for the Deuce I purchased from Clintogf.

The lady stated that the system would not let her transfer the tag. She asked the weight and I pulled out the data I had and then it became well which weight rating should we use. She questioned the department manager who suggested that she call the state to clarify things. That's when it got odd. The vehicle had a proper GA title and when the person at the state office got involved they said the issue was because it was incorrectly listed as a Jeep for the make. She said it had to be truck. So sadly they changed the title to now read 1968 Kaiser Truck M35A2. Then the state office said the weight had to be the 23,535 as listed in the spec sheet for the truck.
I am really sorry you had to go through all that.

So here in my county, there are 3 or 4 attendants at the tag office and I always try to deal with one. She's the most helpful. At the other end of the spectrum, there's the moron who titled this truck. When I took her the SF97 and the County Sheriff filled-out VIN inspection form, she saw the manufacturer "Kaiser-Jeep" and simply couldn't get the thought out of her head that this meant it was not built by Kaiser-Jeep, but was a "Jeep" made by Kaiser.

I tried and tried and tried to dissuade her of this notion, using the (in my head) brilliant analogy of "Mercedes-Benz is a manufacturer of various vehicle-Mercedes is not a manufacturer of Benzes"-and she insisted it be written up this way.

It (obviously) should be "Kaiser-Jeep, M35A2, truck or cargo truck" .

I hate to rant about the DMV like everyone else, but the problem is that these people do nothing but modern 17 digit VINs all day and anything out of the ordinary just throws a giant monkey wrench into the equation.

Glcaines and I think mdmorgan are the most knowledgeable about the current plate situation in Ga. I found this post by Gary, but I am looking because I think there's a better, newer thread covering the topic

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...e-in-GA&p=1208808&highlight=plate#post1208808

The Stig

I am really sorry you had to go through all that.
Eh that's not the worry. I get it. Not everyone is a car person or fanatical about making sure everything is just right. I don't mind paying what I need to pay either. There are so many different plates available for GA residents I can't imagine it would be difficult for those of us that are vehicle hobbyist to have a decent plate to show that so I could avoid the possible sticky situation with my neighbor. As with anything I will roll with the punches and do all I can to hopefully resolve any issues I encounter. That being said since our tags aren't stamped out any more and they have just a vinyl overlay in whatever design they decide. Why couldn't they make another design for us yet have us pay the tax. I hope they understand some vehicles are getting lumped in under commercial that dont belong.

On a side note they even explained to me that folks buying new F250 super duty and larger with towing packages will now have to be classified as commercial due to their load carrying ability.

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Clint, I'm no help, all my stuff is registered in Tennessee and has been for over a year now, didn't have to deal with Ga's bs.

TMNT

I've encountered similar issues in other states, especially northeastern states. The FEDERAL definition of a commercial vehicle is that it is engaged in commerce. No matter the weight, if it's not used for commerce, it's not commercial. Again, that's the federal definition.

Some states define a commercial vehicle only by its GVWR, no matter how it is used. Even 3/4 ton and 1-ton pickups used as a family grocery getter, they classify it as a commercial truck.

And yes, that causes problems with homeowners associations that don't allow commercial vehicles.

I hate to see Georgia go this direction, but it seems inevitable that laws, rules and taxes tend to become more restrictive and cumbersome as time goes on.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I finally got popped for my 5 ton SEMTT. Paid $290 for weighted tags for it up to 55K lbs.

sandcobra164

I had the same thing happen when I went to register my 5 ton two weeks ago. The deuce never raised a flag and I paid the normal tax and tag fees this year. Nothing certain in life but death and taxes!!!:popcorn:

saddamsnightmare

December 5th, 2015.

After hearing all this hoo-ha in Georgia, maybe I won't want to get assigned to Jimmy Carter NHS if this is what faces me with a Unimog or an M35A2. And you all thought they were crazy up here in Illinois? Maybe you need to copy MaDuce's legislation up here in Illinois, it would be a better guide for legislation down there.......:-?

saddamsnightmare

December 15th, 2015.

So gents, what did that 26,000 LBS GVW weight tag run for your deuces per year? In Texas my deuce ran $207.00 with no mileage or use restrictions. That's when the wife's Jeep Wrangler ran about $99.00 or 105.00 per year.

sandcobra164

Deuce costed about 30 a year for tax and tag fees. 5 ton costs about 90 until next year when they tax me on it's value. They currently value it at 8,500 and that will make my payment for tag jump by about $250 before the "Highway Impact" Fee. Deuce probably would have costed the same if they figured out it weighed over 10,000 pounds. They get looped into the same category past that weight. I now have 26,000 weighted plates and can barely tow the M105 with nothing in it to be in regulation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks