• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas Tank Blues,OR how quickly a project can fall apart

butch atkins

tank out of truck WAY to easy,3 inches of silt in the bottom ,rust all the way to the top,have new fuel pump,anybody ever do this job?pulled hanger and pump out broke the little rubber insulaters ,all 4 of them,stripped out screw head on resistor on top of tank,all the insulation on the wire fell off,to much money in parts to try to do anything other than use stock parts,cant find anyone local with tank big enough to boil/vat tank to get rust out,F#*& ME,rally day getting closer and im doing the OD TANGO DANCE,1 step forward,2 steps back,bought all the parts that memphis equipment still has for the tank,and cant seem to make it happen,any body have any good ideas

CCATLETT1984

make some plates to cover the holes, insert a few dollars in pennies and some rust remover then seal the tank and shake, shake (repeat for a long time).

change fluid and continue (do a few times), you'll get most of the rust. then seal the tank.

replace the bad wiring, and you can always step out the screw to the next larger size. ;)

your tank sounds like my original tank it was full of pin holes that leaked and a new one always poping up . I was lucky to find a parts truck that when parked that when parked some one pulled the plug on the bottom of the tank to get all the gas out and never put it back in and the tank dryed out. I think I would keep looking for a tank orignal or not .I would not put any more money in the tank you have . kenny

pa.rich

Yep, there was about 2 five gallon pails of rusty crud in the bottom of mine, removed it and scrapped. Couldnt find a replacement , so it has a M35 tank on it with a pressure reducer and gauge.Thats all I could do.That is on the M211. :wink:

hippiedude

My tank had 6 or 7 gal. of liquid rust and about 20 pin holes ...I ended up making a new tank.....Even the sheetmetel box that wrap around the pump was rotted away..... Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks