• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gaskets -- do you make them or source them already made?

Mario

For our older vehicles, do you find gaskets still available?

I'm rebuilding the front winch and the 2 paper gaskets between the motor housing and wormgear cover need to be replaced.
I rather just buy them but if they're not available or cost 80 bucks, I'll make them myself.

Any sources for them already made?

If not, do you know where to get replacement gasket paper or do you just use 1/64th" one and say **** it, it's good enough?

1629988310702.png

Mario

I would make them in the interest of saving ordering time and I am cash challenged. One can use grocery bags with a coat of gasket dressing, not rtv. For thicker material, get a roll of gasket material from auto parts store.
Is $17 for this 36"x36" a good price? I've never had to make my own gaskets, so don't know what to expect.

ericp351

You had good advice- stop by local auto parts store. Buy gasket punches (hole) as reqd. Tip- punch before final trim- extra meat prevents tear out and put end grain up of a wood block in your vice to punch holes against. They make cutters that work like a big compass for LARGE holes, but you can usally get by with hand cuts. Fel pro sells what ya need, get good and clean and you can use chart paper, et cetera. Good gasket materal sold by GARLOC at industral supply. Rubber, neopream, reinforced, classic blue with asbestos, several thicknesses paper, ect. Good skill to have, steam fitter or not.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You had good advice- stop by local auto parts store. Buy gasket punches (hole) as reqd. Tip- punch before final trim- extra meat prevents tear out and put end grain up of a wood block in your vice to punch holes against. They make cutters that work like a big compass for LARGE holes, but you can usally get by with hand cuts. Fel pro sells what ya need, get good and clean and you can use chart paper, et cetera. Good gasket materal sold by GARLOC at industral supply. Rubber, neopream, reinforced, classic blue with asbestos, several thicknesses paper, ect. Good skill to have, steam fitter or not.
I am with you for sure! Gasket punch is a BIG plus and some sort of semi-rigid wood to punch against. Soft pine like a 2x4 or similar beats the gasket material down into the wood. Dull cutters / punches make that problem even worse.

I and several of the guys here on the boards have cnc cutters if you needed several gaskets cut, but somebody needs to draw the shape. If we ever got to the point where some particular gasket was needed in quantity - there is something we could do to help. Otherwise, an exacto knife, some scissors and a punch works for most things...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have used wiskas cat food boxes for thicker gaskets, And grease proof brown paper for the thinner ones.
All you need is a Ball Bearing and a ball peen hammer then.
The art of using a ball peen hammer is pretty much a lost art.
It really is a controllable way to cut gaskets!

charlesmann

The art of using a ball peen hammer is pretty much a lost art.
It really is a controllable way to cut gaskets!

That is for sure. We tore a hyd pump gasket, didnt have 1 in stock. I went to napa and got the paper gasket material and used a ballpeen to tap out the bolt holes and flanges. I got some weird looks and comments for not using what the parts book called out, but it got us and flying again in an hour, vs. being down for 1+ days, waiting on the correct part.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One can use grocery bags with a coat of gasket dressing, not rtv
I have used wiskas cat food boxes for thicker gaskets
The thin cardboard from cereal boxes also works good.

If you're into shooting or know someone who is, the appropriate caliber spent shell casings work great to punch the holes.

Guyfang

Staff member
Here's an Army trade secrete. TM covers. Every TM I had, had no back cover. Greatest thing since toilet paper. I would not know how to make a gasket without a ball peen hammer. Just before I stopped contracting I found a Snap on hole cutting set. Have to admit it works well. But tapping out a gasket is almost as fast, if not faster.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here's an Army trade secrete. TM covers. Every TM I had, had no back cover. Greatest thing since toilet paper. I would not know how to make a gasket without a ball peen hammer. Just before I stopped contracting I found a Snap on hole cutting set. Have to admit it works well. But tapping out a gasket is almost as fast, if not faster.
Yes Sir! I have the neat little red box and the punches that fit the handle. Getting a good piece of close grain wood or better yet - a nylon block is a requirement to use the punches. Using a piece of soft pine ends up tearing your gasket - then you start over...

Like you said though, a Ball Peen hammer is about as fast or faster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks