• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser help

DAM7106

Happy new year to all...
I've have a flooding...carburetor problem with a 6602 continental with the holley carb...
I have done my best to install an overhaul kit in the carb...
But I do not have any guidance for the float height or idle jet settings.
The Carb want to dump fuel and flood the engine.
I'm at a loss ...
Help...

I am ready to swap carbs if there is a direct fit option available...

Thank you in advance

Douglas

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem is going to have to do with the float or float height. First are you sure the float is floating? If for some reason the float is cracked or has a hole it will sink and the carb will have gas pouring out of it. Second make sure the float is moving on its shaft that it hinges on, it as the name implies needs to float in its movements no binding. Next look at the height adjustment it doesnt have to be exact but it does have to be close. I would guess you should be able to google the model carb and get the float height setting there and if you cannot find it I would email Holly and tell them what you need along with model and SN of the carb they are generally very helpful.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@DAM7106 , The holleys are troublesome, that being said, the one on the M62 is, so far, working OK however, the truck has not been put in service yet, but I did pop for a Zenith to swap it over when and if the holley starts acting up.

Get with DrEvilPorkchop, he might still have some left over. The Zenith I got from him is brand new, got a kit anyway, but doesn't look like we will need it.

As someone that works on this old stuff regularly, I can tell you that any engine that has a holley on it runs horrible, they are finicky and the crap gas we have now doesn't make them any better. The M114 has a nice 283 in it but is holley equipped, I cannot make it run right for the life of me. They will not hold a tune. Zenith carburetors are, in my opinion, MUCH easier to work with, a bit harder to find kits for, but I know a couple places. They even still have the power valves! I have rebuilt many zenith carbs and they all work flawlessly and hold a tune.

Get with Jon and see if he has any left. They are bolt on.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the fuel pressure going in to the carb?

I just saw the Continental 6602 manual in the bunker library but didn't grab it.

The 302 GMC 885 likes low pressure between 3-5lbs. If the pressure is correct then the next check would be float soup. Boil water, add float. There's nothing like the sound of a 6602 so hope it's an easy fix.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the fuel pressure going in to the carb?

I just saw the Continental 6602 manual in the bunker library but didn't grab it.

The 302 GMC 885 likes low pressure between 3-5lbs. If the pressure is correct then the next check would be float soup. Boil water, add float. There's nothing like the sound of a 6602 so hope it's an easy fix.
I didn't think of fuel pressure, only because when I first lit the 6602, the F/p was leaking and I rebuilt it with a kit from Then And Now. The pump, IIRC is a six piston unit, so it flows a boatload, but I am unsure of the pressure since it ran OK, with no leaks , after the pump rebuild, with the exception of a belly full of gas!

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
had a holley 4bbl on a truck and it was always blowing out the power valve .. Then one day it coughed and next thing i knew the paint was peeling/burning off the hood as i was going down the road.. And that was the end of hollies around here except for the one still on my M51, which has not been a problem (yet) except for their typical quirks on the R6602's .. There's a new zenith sitting in the M750 trailer waiting for the day i get time or need to swap it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks