• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gator issues

nickd

Trailered the M1Gator to Findlay for the show along with 2 mules. Still working the bugs out since restoration and first appearance at the April show in Sussex. We stopped the local John Deere dealer near the hotel to pick up a drive belt. Gave the guy a picture of the serial number, bought the belt, some chain lubricant along with some belt dressing for the mule. Returned to the show and struggled to install the belt. The belt appeared to be too tight but with the help of friends we got it on. The machine ran better but the belt squealed at idle. Checked with the dealer, "let the belt break in"
ran the machine a few hours till the belt self destructed. The nylon cords wrapped around both drive clutches and the belt was toast. Back to J.D with the remains of the belt and entrails along with the original belt. Different counter guy, he matched the old belt at no charge and back to the show. The new belt went on easily , the squealing was gone along with the grinding/clunking gear shift noise. Have a total of 8 hours since the restoration. All appears to be well in Gator world!

Last edited:

goldneagle

Sounds like a ZOO theme there. You got a Gator, Mule and Deere all in one post. :-D Here in Louisiana Gator issues are a whole different ball game!

Madmedic

Glad to hear your issue was so quickly resolved.

Have had same issues with our gators. So far, had same problem with the rear drive clutches, belts, different plastic pieces, and dash board plastic/decal. Still waiting on some of those parts, since our dealer apparently doesn't stock the correct parts corresponding to the M-Gator.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
start writing down product numbers, and paint them on your underhood!

Glad you got it straight and sounds like a good customer service experience.

Madmedic

The "problem" is with John Deere. They're running their system, like car dealerships do now. YOU supply them with a "vin" number off your M-Gator, and They are supposed to be able to identify your part number on their computer. Even when you show them off the TM what the correct part number is,,,,,,, if it disagrees with the computer....... they believe the computer. They usually won't even talk to you about parts unless the discussion starts with "Here's the serial/VIN #"

nickd

That's probably what happened. I took a picture of the vin number with my phone and showed it to the counter fuy the first time. The second time I went back with the original belt

jacobsk

If your CVT belt failed that quickly then it was definitely the wrong size. Likely too small.

When your belt is too small the inner surface of the belt is likely to interfere with the inner surfaces of the sheaves on the CVT. These surfaces are not meant to have a belt riding on them so they may chew it up pretty good.

If the belt is too small you'll see premature CVT engagement, which is likely why your transmission was grinding and clunking. The CVT had likely already engaged and was spinning the driven clutch at idle. When you try to shift and the input shaft is being already driven at idle (from too tight of a belt) it's like trying to shift into gear with your foot on the gas.

While some belts do require a "break in period" to conform to the surfaces of CVT sheaves (especially old and or used sheaves) squealing is typically not a good sign on these machines.

If you have issues with the CVT in the future just reference the same model year TH-Diesel 6x4 gator offered commercially in green and yellow. The CVT drive system is the same and JD dealers are very familiar with the M-Gator's green and yellow counterpart!

nickd

Thanks Jacobsk for the info.
tha gator appears to be running fine now. Originally, I wanted to go with tan plastic and paint the gator tan but the JD dealer could not supply tan fenders.

Madmedic

If you want it tan, paint it. The military did. Here's a couple of pictures of M-Gators in Afghanistan and Iraq, painted CARC TAN. As you can see, they paint THE WHOLE THING tan. But it appears that the paint doesn't adhere too well to the plastic pieces.

View attachment 5613681280px-M-Gator.jpg

Last edited:

nickd

Madmedic, unhappy with the results when I test painted one of the damaged fenders I opted to stay green. Although the paint covered the plastic, it would not be permanent. Here I go defying gravity again! Here is the gator at Findlay

Attachments

Last edited:

Madmedic

Sweet lookin Gator!!! I understand and agree with the decision to go green. That's the direction we're going with right now. When we got the "ARMY" gator, I wanted to call it the "Franken-Gator". The outside of the bed had been over painted Black, and then over painted CARC Tan. Likewise both fenders had the remains of CARC Tan, while the top cowling and the stretcher basket & front guard were still O.D.

As seen in those picts I posted, the Army is/was painting their M-Gators with the CARC Tan, but it clearly doesn't adhere too well to the plastic. (Had the same problem in the 80's when we were experimenting with 4 Wheelers at Bragg).

So, our plan is to first grind out the welds from weapons mounts in the bed, and restore it to the condition (or as close as we can) it was in when delivered to the Army, and THEN up arm it with dummy weapons, as the army had done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks