• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 Light & heater control

carter262

This is odd so I was wondering if any of you have seen this before.

I have noticed that sometimes my Gen 1 light is glowing dimly. You can only see it when it is dark out. You can not see it on sunny day. This morning I made the connection to when it is doing this. It was raining and cool this morning so I cut the heat / defrost on. I noticed that the Gen light was glowing dimly again. Then I cut the defrost up to high and the Gen 1 light got brighter. So I cut the defrost down to low and the Gen 1 light got dimmer. So with my powers of deduction I have determined that for some reason when the heat is on it is making the Gen 1 light glow / activate.

I have checked the output of the alternator and it is fine.

This vehicle is a 1987 M1028. I have a 1984 M1009 too and it does not do this.

So what could the cause be?

ehuppert

I'll be watching this one! Mine has done this for the ten plus years i've had it... Always charges, but light dimly glows with heater on!

cucvrus

That is the diode in the alternator. I had this issue fixed at the alternator shop. He installed a relay somewhere in that wire for the blower switch. I will ask him. At the same time he set up the alternators so they charged without the idoit lights operational. It was a plow truck and I had a nightmare of issues with it 2 winters ago. It is coming back to me when I am finished with the M1009 plow truck for repairs to the steering. JOY. So I have that to look forward to. Which is good. Take Care.

Barrman

I gets spooky when you leave the fan on and turn off the engine. The light will slowly dim as the fan motor spins down.

most of my Gen 1 lights have done this. But not all.

ehuppert

The glow has persisted with several different alternators over the years. Only visible at night, and being a "work" truck it doesn't get driven at night very often! This is not a 6.2, so is fully converted to 12v with a 10si alternator on a small block!

carter262

That is the diode in the alternator. I had this issue fixed at the alternator shop. He installed a relay somewhere in that wire for the blower switch. I will ask him. At the same time he set up the alternators so they charged without the idoit lights operational. It was a plow truck and I had a nightmare of issues with it 2 winters ago. It is coming back to me when I am finished with the M1009 plow truck for repairs to the steering. JOY. So I have that to look forward to. Which is good. Take Care.
Thanks. Please let us know if you find out more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks