• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen #2 Field Current Relay? & Where can I buy an ALTERNA

MuddWeiser

So I see that the #2 generator has a field current relay listed on the TM wiring schematics. What does this do and do they go bad??? Is there a way to test this? Is this something I can get at a local auto parts store???

Also I have a bad alternator and I don't trust my local "auto electric" shop to rebuild it.

Where is the best place to buy a rebuilt CUCV alternator??? Any sponsors here on this site deal with them???

mangus580

RE: Gen #2 Field Current Relay? & Where can I buy an ALT

www.odiron.com for the alternator.

The relay is a pretty basic one. If you carry it into your local auto parts, they should be able to set you up with one.

ida34

As Mike said it is pretty basic. Attach an ohm meter to the switched terminals and apply 12 volts across the other terminals. If it shows continuity when the 12 volts is applied and goes open with the 12 volts taken away then it should be good. If you have not found it look under the dash below where the radio would normally be on a civy truck. It should have another relay for the voltmeter and the starter relay attached to a metal plate bracket.

ida34

There is an alt on Ebay right now going for $50 plus shipping. This is about what it cost me to rebuild my bad alt.

JohnFire

I have one here I want to get rid of. It came out of my M1009 when I converted to a 12 volt system. It worked fine when I took it out. I will be converting another truck to 12v later on as well. Make a resonable offer and it is your plus whatever to ship. I just want it out of the garage.

gt1009

Don't buy the alt at napa!!!!! I made that mistake and paid $250 for it. It can be bought for half that on the internet.