• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator/Alternator Swap ????

Kenny714

OK, here is my problem. After taking the deuce through a few feet of water the generator on my 68 M35A2 locked up. We removed the generator, opened it up and the bearings and most of the windings were pretty much toasted. After checking all my buddies parts trucks I was not ablt to find the exact replace ment. My original generator looks like a MODEL 5504AA or 5504AB. (from the manual) It has the elbow looking thing coming out the top with the screw on coupling for the braded wire cable. The unit I took off one of the parts truck is similar to Model L 3002AD or 3002AE. It looks more like a everyday alternator. (of course larger).

We cut apart the generator end of the braided cable and spliced the larger wire to the large wire and the smaller to the smaller. Pretty simple I would think. Well the batteries still wouldn't charge with the new generator/alternator. Now What???????????

I have the fire wall mounted regulator box which the braided wire from the the generator screws/plugs into. The cable coming out of the regulator then goes into the wireing harness. Our thoughts are that the newer type alternator has a built in regulator and the fire wall mounted regulator isn't necessary and we can just remove it and splice together the ins and outs.

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The deuce fires right with a pull start and runs great but it just wont start on it's own power. I'm confused.

Thanks,KENNY

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the firewall mounted 25Amp regulator is bypassed when the 60 amp alternator is used.
I have the kit of wires (still sealed, I believe) if you can't find it elsewhere. PM me if interested.

jatonka

I have a lot of the generator to alternator conversion harnesses with instructions, factory sealed. 25 amp gen to 60 amp alt. PM me anytime. JT

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the part number for the repalcement alternator, is it just a bigger GM one, where can I get one, how much is it?

Thanks

-Ken J

Barrman

That wiring kit works great and takes about 5 minutes to wire up. You will need to find the Military 60 Amp alternator as used on newer full 24 volt vehicles such as the M715, M35A2 and all the 5 tons. The pulleys might not be the same as yours. Air impact and a gear puller make swapping them out a breeze.

Ken J, are you asking about a Duece alternator or CUCV alternator? There are no GM parts on a multifuel.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm asking for the M35 (that I don't have yet but have a deposit on); didn't know if the upgraded alternator was Delco or some off-brand....

THANKS very much for your reply!

Barrman

Ken J, From 1968 up, there were about 4 different versions of the huge 60 amp 24 volt military alternator used. Several different makers made them. About the only thing they all have in common is the mouting tabs, shaft size and 2 wire hook up. Where the fan is, internals and how they looked all differ. If you are looking for one, just search for a military 24 volt 60 amp internal regulated alternator. Be prepared for sticker shock. Rebuild kits are a shocker too.

You wrote M35. Does that mean you are getting an old Gasser or early non turbo multifuel? Both of the old styles used the external regulated generator. For the most part, if it work now, leave it alone and worry about more important stuff such as brakes, lights and changing out 3 fuel filters, 2 oil filters, 6 gallons of engine oil, 7 gallons of gear oil. Plus the big money item, tires that are younger than you.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Barrman!

Sounds like good advice.

I've been reading a lot of things here while I wait for my refinance to either clear or be rejected. No big purchases right now.

So I'm doing research by reading and asking questions.

As far as I know it'll be an M35A2 but I haven't seen the truck yet so I don't want to post wrong info.

THANKS again everyone!

-Ken J

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks