• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator AUX fuel Tank

Guyfang

Staff member
No, it does not appear that the gen set was moved forward. TM 9-6115-659-13&P probably has a drawing that reflects where the gen set is supposed to sit on the trailer.

Chainbreaker

As far as the copper washer for the Drain Plug goes... I would take plug & washer to a NAPA Dealer, or other Auto Parts Store, and see what they have on hand that fits. Or, if you have a well stocked local hardware store they may have a selection of copper washers that could work.

Chainbreaker

One thing nice about having a "trailer mounted aux tank" that size is you can drive up to a diesel pump and fill it up. I can get off road diesel at the pump nearby so it cuts the fuel cost.

Otherwise, if you have aux tank mounted off trailer your probably going to have to schlep Jerry cans to fill it up. That's unless you have other means such as local fuel oil delivery which often have minimum fuel delivery requirements.

I was fortunate that I didn't have to move my MEP-002a generator on its M116A2 trailer (PU-751M unit) to be able to fit a 50 gallon round tank up front (tool box was already located on fender well). Though I did have to remove landing leg & retrofit a "Jack leg" due to tongue weight to allow easy hook up to hitch.

If ever relocating a trailer mounted generator "rearward" you really have to consider weight & balance when tank is both full/empty. You don't want a trailer to end up sitting on its tail end when aux tank is empty or if you ever need to climb onboard trailer to get to something. I recall Guy had a story about a fellow co-worker getting launched off trailer... :D

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I once worked on some PU sets that were for Fire Finder. The trailer was an LTT, Light Tactical Trailer. They had an Aux fuel tank mounted UNDER the trailer. I never saw anything like it before or since. Good idea, if its possible to mount it.

Chainbreaker

I once worked on some PU sets that were for Fire Finder. The trailer was an LTT, Light Tactical Trailer. They had an Aux fuel tank mounted UNDER the trailer. I never saw anything like it before or since. Good idea, if its possible to mount it.
I like the underbelly fuel tank idea a lot, it saves deck space and distributes the weight properly so its safer all the way around.

There are commercial trailers designed with generator mounting rails on top of tank/deck platform.

Then there are also custom fuel tank builders whereby one could get creative and probably manage to fit a tank under the deck of a military generator trailer.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
In the stone age, the pre MEP days, we had trailers with one or two 5&10 KW gen sets. They had tanks under the trailer bed, but the trailers had the same size tires as the 2.5 and 5 ton trucks. So the trailer sat up way higher. No worry about the tank getting bumped or snagged.

John Galt II

As far as the copper washer for the Drain Plug goes... I would take plug & washer to a NAPA Dealer, or other Auto Parts Store, and see what they have on hand that fits. Or, if you have a well stocked local hardware store they may have a selection of copper washers that could work.
Thanks for the suggestions Chanbreaker,
Been to NAPA, Tractor Supply, CO-OP Farm Supply, Hardware stores, searched online, have called Parts Direct and some other place in CA. No luck.
Then this morning went to Fastenal. They did not have the copper gasket, so as a potential alternative we ordered a Viton gasket. It arrives next week. I know I won't be able to really crank down on the drain plug when tightening it like you can a copper gasket. But I thought I'd try that before having to order a custom copper one that I'm sure I'd pay an arm and a leg for... Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks!

John Galt II

I like that idea. Especially if it allows to shift forward enough to balance things out. May have to re-arrange the rear leg to swing east - west on the rear bumper??? I'll put eyes on it tonight when I get home.
That's thinking outside the box!
Thanks fellas!

John Galt II

I like the underbelly fuel tank idea a lot, it saves deck space and distributes the weight properly so its safer all the way around.

There are commercial trailers designed with generator mounting rails on top of tank/deck platform.

Then there are also custom fuel tank builders whereby one could get creative and probably manage to fit a tank under the deck of a military generator trailer.
A few weeks ago I was walking through a parking lot and saw a trailer with a very THICK bed. I had to do a double take on it. But that's what it was.
Pretty neat!

Guyfang

Staff member
I THINK, but not 100% sure, this is your gasket. Part # MS35769-31. NSN: 5330-01-352-3360

CROSS-SECTIONAL SHAPE STYLEMETAL WITH SOFT FILLER
TEMP RATING500 DEG FAHRENHEIT
OUTSIDE DIAMETER1 121/250 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1 1/2 INCHES MAXIMUM
APERTURE DIAMETER1 1/4 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1 133/500 INCHES MAXIMUM
CROSS-SECTIONAL THICKNESS0 39/500 INCHES MINIMUM AND 109/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM
CRITICALITY CODE JUSTIFICATIONMATT
MAXIMUM PRESSURE RATING200 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
ENVIRONMENTAL ATTRIBUTE CODEASBESTOS ALTERNATIVE PRODUCTS
SPECIAL FEATURESAS DIFFERENTIATED BY FILLER OF NON-ASBESTOS MATERIAL
MATERIALCOPPER CASE
MATERIALFIBER NONASBESTOS CORE AND ASPHALT CORE AND RUBBER BUTADIENE-ACRYLONITRILE CLASS NBR CORE
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONHH-G-101 FED SPEC SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE CASE
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONHH-G-101,TYPE 3 FED SPEC SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE CORE
STYLE DESIGNATORCIRCULAR

John Galt II

Thank you for this. It seem dimensionally accurate. I was able to locate several online stores that carry it but some were back-ordered and most want about $15 to ship a 60 cent item (x 10 min). Can you recommend store to buy things like these?
Also, what is the procedure to drain an 802 fuel tank? Opening the valve only provides a very slow drip. I ended up pumping most of the fuel through the water separator. But it looks like there is still about an inch of fuel remaining...

Thanks again!

Guyfang

Staff member
Thank you for this. It seem dimensionally accurate. I was able to locate several online stores that carry it but some were back-ordered and most want about $15 to ship a 60 cent item (x 10 min). Can you recommend store to buy things like these? (I live in Germany. I can recommend several places here, but your costs of getting here and back may make this a tad expensive.)
Also, what is the procedure to drain an 802 fuel tank? Opening the valve only provides a very slow drip. I ended up pumping most of the fuel through the water separator. But it looks like there is still about an inch of fuel remaining...(Elevate the side of the set away from the drain, and it will all run out. Or take the set apart, and remove the tank. That's about the only way I could do it myself. I was and am the kind of guy who takes things apart.)

Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks