• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Identity

C15TA

A guy says he has a military generator I can buy cheap. I asked him for a photo and this is what he sent. Not much of a view. :confused:Is there enough visible for any of you guys to tell me what it might be and is it worth a trip to look at it?
Thanks,
Barry

Attachments

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it has remote start contacts and looks like an old 10 kw I had. The one I had was gas with a continental 4 cylinder. was a great unit. A few more pics would be great

C15TA

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. ODdave, the side panels look strange because the unit is mounted inside this trailer. He took more photos of the trailer than the generator. I will have to get him to open it and get more photos.
Thanks,
Barry

Attachments

Isaac-1

I was also going to guess MEP-017a, or perhaps a pre-MEP series unit of some type, if it is a MEP-017a then it is a gasoline powered 5KW generator, 1 or 3 phase output powered by a 4 cylinder military standard engine running at 3600 rpms. Good solid generator likely built in the mid to late 1960's, but very poor fuel economy, might be ok for standby use if converted to run on propane or natural gas. Putting $$$$ on generators is very hard since most people feel they are nearly worthless as long as the power is on, but if a storm is on the way or even if it is bad weather season where you are prices tend to go up, down here on the gulf coast that means highest prices during hurricane season, up north it tends to be in the fall before the winter really hits. Having said that I would say that MEP-017a's typically sell for somewhere between $250 - $750 in good running condition, trailer mounted generators usually sell for more, guessing the weight for the generator would be around 450-500 pounds..

Ike

p.s. don't let that 5KW rating fool you, that is 5KW 24/7 in extreme conditions, not 5KW peak for 10 seconds if your lucky. Also those batteries look a bit fuzzy and caps look bulging, so if it runs it may have a bad battery charging regulator, check the output voltage at the batteries while running should be around 28.8V if more then regulator is bad, I just had to buy a 24V charging regulator for my MEP-016b, cost about $100 on ebay.

Last edited:

jbk

the 017a is 5kw, 2 cyl. 42 ci. engine . ive load tested mine at 7.5 kw. they use about a gallon per hour. very loud 82 db. at 25 ft. the cover is an someones add on. good unit for the $

ODdave

Yes the 017's are VERY loud. Personaly I wouldnt spend more than a couple of hundred on it as they are very loud and not fuel efficient. Nice colector item though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks