• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Issue

cten

Generator seems to not be putting out any voltage.

The dash meter says battery and nothing with the on/off switch is off.

Put a tester on the battery and she stays at 13volts.

Is it normal for a generator to die?

Can they be rebuilt by a place that rebuilds alternators and starters?

I have my brother in law coming over to check the generator out and trace the wires and test the generator itself to see if she is putting out.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

MVtrucker

Your post is a little confusing. You are working on a M35 Series truck, correct? If so, you mention "the battery". There should be two batteries in series for at least 24-volts. Yes, the alternators die. Rebuildable, but expensive. The battery dash guage does not do anything with the switch in the off position.

Monster Man

I've seen alternators go on cars with less than 100 miles. It only takes one stressful situation, mainly trying to charge a weak battery, that will kill them. It works twice as hard and usually the regulators fail. Always make sure you charge your batteries fully before running the engine, and avoid jumpstarts if at all possible. Even bad battery connections can cause an alternator to fail, it will constantly be working double time trying to get juice to the batteries

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks