• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator questions! MEP-803/804

WelderDeluxe

I'm looking at buying a generator to run my house and/or shop. Looking at either a MEP-803a or MEP-804a/b. I can find the 804's easier than I can the 803's. Can the 804's safely run 120v off the L1 and L3 without messing up the stator and voltage regulator, and if so what would the amperage output be for each leg? I'm familiar with generators and engine drive welders as I repair them on the side, not familiar with the military generators. Civilian Market generators have 2 different sets of windings in them usually, one Wye 3 phase and one parallel low zig-zag, depending on the manufacturer of the generator end. I'd like to be able to achieve 50 amps off L1 and L3 leg if possible. Thanks!

Scoobyshep

You can use 2 legs (it will be 208 volt so check your appliances, most are useable at 208) I would advise getting some kind of load (work light, heater etc) on l2.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For emergency power, sure. You'll be fine. Agree that putting SOME load on the third leg is a good idea. Fifty amps on two phases would be OK intermitently but I wouldn't run that much current for long periods of time.

If this is a main power source or if you need 50a for long periods then I'd recommend against it. Get a single phase capable machine that is matched to your loads.

Last edited:

WelderDeluxe

Don't rule out the MEP003A. You can get single phase @240 VAC or three phase and it is air cooled, so no liquid coolant issues. I've been using mine for whole-house backup for many years without issue. Very reliable.
I'm more familiar with the Lister-Petter engines and I also have a Cummins parts warehouse in my town so parts would be easy for me to source for the engine. I don't know what engine the 003a has being air cooled.

WelderDeluxe

Hello WD. Rochester NH here.

There's a member here "Light in the Dark" in western MA that deals mostly in 802a and 803a sets. I have bought 2 802a's from him. He's a straight shooter. Might be worth getting in touch with him.
Epsom, NH. We're not too far apart. I already talked to Light in the Dark about a generator. I'm going to get one spring/summer this year. An 802 would run the house but not the shop.

cbisson

Epsom, NH. We're not too far apart. I already talked to Light in the Dark about a generator. I'm going to get one spring/summer this year. An 802 would run the house but not the shop.
My intent was not to recommend a model, just to let you know that I had made 2 purchases that happened to be 802a's. Very happy with both transactions and both machines.