• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generators for Dummies

Keith_J

If the generator is under 5kW and connected by plugs only, no grounding is needed per NEC. If this is used in the Texas Hill Country, grounding might be impossible as soil depth is often nil and limestone solid.

The MEP-016s have exposed load terminals...I will probably build a genset-mounted panel for NEMA 5-15/20 and cover up those exposed terminals because despite Boy Scouts being above average in smarts, the council might not like it. And the underwriter will have a problem.

Yes, you CAN use galvanized pipe for grounding! And insulated THHN/THN wire for grounding. If needed, I can cut a nice spike on a section of 1" galvanized pipe and hammer the end into a spike, welding the seam. Heavy but effective.

Just returned from the initial meeting with the OP. The generator looks rough but the engine is nearly new. Aside from cosmetics, it is fully functional, starting in 50F weather on the first pull. Voltage and frequency meters are spot on at both load terminals and convenience outlets.

Discussed safety issues and planned to make a L5-30 receptacle mounted to the generator on a panel covering the load terminals for safety. Might be two receptacles, depending on the SOW wire the OP has available and the distance. Also will make a distribution box for the end of the SOW for standard NEMA 5-15 or 20 duplex receptacles. This box will have 20 amp breakers for each receptacle.

With this modification, no grounding is necessary although GFCI receptacles would offer additional safety.

Because a cold front blew in last night, we were getting quite chilled. We have a plan and a working generator. And I have an entry back into Scouting.

Here is a good source for two NEMA 5-20R duplex, breakers and a L14-30R, all for about $9. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=11-3306&catname=electric

The wiring is substandard but the receptacles and breakers should be fine.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Since the TM isn't available for the whole set, use the following:

Generator head:http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Military-Generators/MEP-016A/TM-5-6115-271-14.pdf
(ignore the OA-32 milstd. engine)

Engine only:http://dawinfo.com/L-A-Service-Manual/L-A-Manual-Complete.pdf

Now the fuel subsystem isn't covered in either. I went over how it operates with the OP this morning. His set has a frozen selector valve which I should be able to repair with minor work. Basically, there are two tanks on the set, the engine's 3/4 gallon gravity feed/filter tank and the skid base tank. With the selector valve in the set tank position, the electric fuel pump is switched on with the engine tank about 1/4 full. The switch opens at a bit over 3/4 full.

With the fuel selector on remote, the fuel flows from the remote connection to the engine tank. The skid tank can only be manually filled. Use the skid tank for day operations where the unit can be shut down. Also, use the skid tank for switching remote tanks when extended operation from remote tanks is employed.

Fuel filters. There are three, the final filter is in the engine tank The electric pump has its own strainer-filter on the bottom which is removed with a hex wrench. Caution, there are a few ounces in the filter. There is a sediment bowl at the fuel selector valve which may also have a strainer. Drain if any sediment is noted.

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Military-Generators/MEP-016A/TM-5-6115-271-14.pdf

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, thanks to everyone who replied with the great advice. Thanks Keith_J for coming by and setting me straight. Keith had some great ideas and is going to help out getting us set up. Promise I will take pics and post them. Mike, the box that you posted is exactly what we are going to do, thanks for the input. Issac, appreciate the advice, I was prepared for an onslaught of criticism but only one detractor, so SS comes through again. Looks like I picked up another volunteer for our Scouting program too...lol, right Keith.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks