• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting Bear’s Trucks Going

SturmTyger380

Of the two trucks I got from Papabear one was a runner and is put up for now. The other had been a runner at one time although PB said it would downshift on its own for no reason. I am thinking junk is in the hydraulics of the transmission. So I wanted to focus on getting it moving so I could put it up for now.

Well it was missing its carburetor, so I had one on hand that I dragged out and took the time to rebuild. (The nicest one I have I found out is a REO carb.) Putting the G749 carb on I looked down next to the passenger side battery tray and asked where does this cable go to? I pulled on it and noticed there was no starter. The trucks came with a NOS starter in a box but I headed out to the parts truck to pull the starter off that truck as I didn’t want to use the NOS one for an experiment. I am guessing that parts truck starter had not turned in 30+ years. After getting lots of dirt and rust in my eyes I hauled it off to the shop to clean it up and test it.

It spun right up and the bendex was nice and free. What a deal! So I lay in the grass putting the starter on the truck. Added two old batteries and she turned over three times and quit. Bummer. I was out of light for the day so had to wait till the next day. Next day I got under there and pushed on the starter button and it spun and pushed the linkage by hand and it turned over. But the cab lever would not throw far enough. So the linkage needed adjustment. Tried but the screw adjustment was frozen. So I had to pull the starter. (I am getting good at this!).

Back in the shop I had to use a torch to heat the screw adjustment twice and let it cool, and spray PB Blaster to free it. Back to the truck I installed the starter again and fixed the adjustment, so now the lever in the cab will turn over the engine, (Progress!)

I had rigged a temp fuel line to a rubber line so I could strap a small gas can up between the hood and the windshield. The fuel was now down in the carb so I left the hood up and jumped in the cab to try and start the old girl.

After about five tries I was getting a cough, a good sign. Playing with the choke I was able to get her to start and after five or six times of this she idled! I was so stoked!

I got down and looked for leaks, put this block of wood where the hood comes down on the fender to allow room for the rubber hose from the tank and jumped back in the cab.

Jiggled the gas pedal and she died. Ran the starter a bit and she started and died. I did this until the batteries went flat. Durn! There must be something else wrong. Well it would have to wait for another day. There was just enough light left to pull the batteries out and start charging them.

So I went to put the hood up and noticed the rubber fuel line was being pinched by the hood! In my excitement to put the hood down I did not make sure the line was where it was supposed to be. There was just enough gas making it through to allow the engine to start and sputter. :doh:

Today after work I have the batteries all charged up so I will try again. Isn’t this stuff fun to do! :D

snowyrivers

Oh yessssss, the joys of wrenching on 60 year old iron toys.

As I have told Thumper a time or two, take the time to get the right stuff and do it right the first time even if it takes a day or two longer.

Good luck with the beast

Snowy

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The "parts truck"...the dark green one was an excellent runner at one time but as I said, it's been a few years since it was started/driven. I didn't know the fellers had robbed the friggin starter!!:shock:

That truck is definitely worth saving if you are so inclined. We never checked into the transmission to try to see what it's problem was. We always had too many other projects going on to get to it.:oops:

SturmTyger380

Well I got the girl running and she idles well. I am still not sure I am getting enough fuel flow or something is not right with my carb rebuild. When I go to throttle up she sputters and dies. I would guess it is the power piston. Oh well out of time for this week and will have to play another time.

snowyrivers

Yank the fuel line off and make sure there is a good fuel delivery into a can.

The accelerator pump (power piston) may be to blame.
Did you replace it with a fresh one when you did the kit ???

A bad PP will cause those symptoms.

Snowy

SturmTyger380

Yes a new power piston, nice and snug. I am using real gas but only have a gravity feel system, so syphon action is all I have.

One of my friends says she wants to hibernate for the winter. rofl

snowyrivers

You need at least a couple psi pressure to be sure the bowl fills.

Full gravity with the jug upside down should be enough, but a true siphon is likely not gonna do it.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a fuel pump. Even a 12v wired to one of the batteries will do. 3 psi minimum, 12 psi will push the needle off the seat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks