• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting jumped from a CUCV

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To the front battery since it'd be easier to clamp on. Both batteries and alternators are 12v. You could jump even from the rear, so long as you're careful that the ground cable doesn't touch the body or the vehicles bodies touch each other. Front is a little safer.

wired1000

While we're on the topic, jumping a CUCV would involve... two (12V) vehicles, one on each battery? A vehicle and a jumper pack, one on each battery? I suppose a 24V vehicle could be used jumped from front batt and the rear batt? Or use the NATO slave plug?

Yeah, what patracy said. I jumped my 1008 a few times with my Grand Marquis.

You should definitely carry two sets of jumpers. Your best bet for getting jumped is to find a guy with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck (F-350, Dodge 2500, etc) as they have dual batteries.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just because a truck has two batteries does NOT mean it can jump you. You'll find out quick as to why not...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the original poster, need to clarify what kind of vehicle are you jumping. If it's another CUCV, the directions posted may cause sparks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"Getting jumped from a CUCV" , when I read this, I first thought it ment gang banger thugs were now using cucvs as there victem stalking and get away vehicle

Last edited:

K9Vic

I do not know if the OP question was to jump start a normal vehicle with a CUCV, or jumping a CUCV with a normal vehicle. I think he was asking to jump a car with a CUCV.

I have both a 24v & 12v jumper system on my M1009 and can jump a 24v military vehicle with the OEM slave cable. I can also jump a 12v vehicle with a standard jump cable system as seen on tow trucks. I have jump started both vehicles many times, mostly 12v vehicles. As long as you are on the 12v side it is perfectly safe.

paramilusmc

I was talking about jumping a regular vehicle with a CUCV.

So what I have gathered is use the front battery only.

Now I swear I read here before that when jumping a CUCV with a regular vehicle you place the negative on the father battery and the positive on the closer battery. Was I just smoking crack or is there a different procedure?

Now if you couldn't slave cable two CUCVs together (do to maybe lack of correct cables) then what could you do with regular cables?

Why not just make this an official CUCV jumping thread?

Pawnshop

I have used the slave port to jump many a Deuce and five ton, but my standard answer when asked to jump a 12v vehicle is "NO, my truck is 24v and will destroy your car's computer". If I knew (and liked) the 12v vehicle's owner and knew WHY it would not start I would likely disconnect my front battery and jump from that, or just let them use my battery to go get a new one for themselves. I have seen too many melted batteries and fried electrical systems to expose my daily driver to those dangers.

Just because a truck has two batteries does NOT mean it can jump you. You'll find out quick as to why not...

I wasn't really thinking clearly... :drool: and I forgot that the two CUCV batteries are linked. Sparks would fly...
I didn't really specify... If you isolate both batteries from each other in the CUCV and connect each battery in the other civi truck to each in the CUCV, and let them sit and charge, they seemed to charge up a little faster/more equally... that is assuming you have tools to remove the cables. I did that a few years ago with my roommate's powerstroke F250 on the old M1008. It worked enough to start it up.
But that's kind of a stupid, time consuming way to go...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks