• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gillespie paint

serp

what can be used to reduce gillespie paint for sraying. they recommend a synthetic enamel reducer. i was hoping to use a cheaper product. any one experiment with anything else.

serp

thanks for the info. i am starting on cleaning and painting wood/seats first still to cold to paint outside. i can put side boards in garage and paint, my garage is heated hot water baseboard with furnace no where near.

Armada

Serp, for painting the wood, brushing it on works very well too. You can work it into the wood and a reducer is not needed. I use the gillespie primer on wood also.
A hardener works well too. I use PPG Starthane catalyst, Star 1000 with excellent results.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, guess I'm the odd ball cheap guy. I use Home Depot odorless mineral spirits and have had nothing but good luck. Of course I know almost nothing about painting. I painted the old 35A2 with it and it held up well. The front bumper on the tractor is off the cargo and it looks pretty good considering the FL sun. Paint is 4 years old.

Armada

Really? I didn't know there was a difference Bjorn. Different shade or properties or? The Gillespie paint I use I get from AJP.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As explained by David Doyle, I'm still learning too. I'll find the reference in a minute...

Here:

"The FS595B 24084 should be darn near a perfect match for FS595A 24087, and FS595B 24084 is available from a number of commercial paint makers. 24087 is a radically different color between FS595A and FS595B.

The problem that many enthusiasts experience, especially those new to the hobby, is that when the classic M-series vehicles were built, the Federal Standard in place was 595A - but today the Federal Standard in use by the military, industry, and hence the paint companies, is 595B. Almost all colors are the same in both number and colors between the two standards - BUT our beloved semigloss OD is the exception to the rule. The number 24087 appears in both standards, but the shade changed rather dramatically.

HTH,
David Doyle"

cbvet

I recently called Aervoe asking what to use to thin for spraying. They say you can use Naptha (which is the same as mineral spirits I think), Acetone, or Xylene.
They say:
Naptha is fine if temps above 70, &/or slower drying is okay.
Acetone works better if its 60-70, &/or quicker drying is desired.
Xylene is best when temps drop to 50-60, &/or fast drying is desired.
They suggest starting off with Naptha, then adding Acetone or Xylene to make spray "drier".
Drier paint is less likely to run, but may give thin coverage, requiring more coats. Also more likely to give a rough finish.
Eric
CBVET

jasonjc

To muddy the water on the "new" "old" 24087 thing. I took these pic's of the inside compartment door on my M530C fire truck. In the circal I used some cleaner to remove the oxidation. the arrow points to a strip of Gillespie 24087. So is the truck painted in the "new" color or is the Gillespie 24087 the "old" color??? :?

Attachments