• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL-1 Oils, Can not find

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I know there has been many threads on what oil for the Trans and T-case and I have read them all, but I am lost as to what to use.
The problem is I cannot find any GL-1 gear oil. I talked to Napa and they cannot get the Valvoline that I was told was a good GL-1 oil http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=VAR70044_0006411620

They do have their Napa GL-1, but they do not know if it is Yellow metal safe. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...205_0006545685

We do not have a Tractor Supplies here in AZ.

Any help on what I should use. There are a lot of oils out there that are GL-5/MT1 is that Yellow Metal safe?

Thanks for any inputs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the NAPA oil you linked. It's fine.

paulfarber

The dirty little secret is that THERE ARE NO API GL-1 LUBES ANYMORE.

GL-1 has been superseded, so API does not test not certify them as GL-1 compliant.

The VENDOR is saying it meets GL-1 specs, which don't exist (aka superseded), or oddly, the testing devices do not exist!

"API Categories GL-1, GL-2, GL-3 and GL-6 were declared inactive by SAE Technical Committee 3 in 1995, even though oils may be marketed with these designations. Similarly, ASTM does not plan to maintain the performance tests associated with these categories, as in a number of cases these tests can no longer be run because parts or test installations are not available."

Run GL-5/MT-1

No one's trucks are blowing up because they are using GL-5/MT-1 oils.

paulfarber

I buy my NAPA GL-1 in 5 gallon buckets for $35 locally.
Not to be a smart azz, but there since 1995 there have been no certified (by a recognized standards body) GL-1 oil.

I could fill a 5 gal pail with cow pee and call it GL-1 oil as there is no standard for it anymore. You are relying on the manufacturer to test and blend it appropriately, using whatever standard they may or may not use.

GL-5/MT-1 is not going to rot your innards.... if anyone has a failure caused solely by GL-5/MT-1 oil then they are keeping it a secret.