• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL at Aberdeen

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Robyn

Reciprocity applies to vehicle registration also. I think you got bad advice. If you are not operating commercially you do not need IFTA. An unloaded tractor used for commerce is still a commercial vehicle. In other words the circumstances may lead a reasonable person to believe you are operating commercially even if unloaded. The commerce part is kind of sticky but just because a commercial vehicle driven empty it that does not mean it is not operating in commerce. If you bought a tractor and only used it to haul your half track to shows then it is more clearly not a commercial vehicle. A regular commercial operator using his normal rig to haul the same half track to show on the weekend would bring more scrutiny. No matter what you are doing or what you say you are doing if the officer feels you are lying then you will have to go to court to have the judge look at it. I can't comment on what specifically happened to you as I was not there. I can say that you do not have to have comply with federal commercial regulations for your personal use vehicles no matter what size. Apportioned plates are not "commercial" plates and they may be required even for private vehicles depending on your state or residence. The big thing is, if you are legal at home you are legal in other states. That is the whole thing with reciprocity. I have a 12,000 lbs gross F-350 flatbed truck. The local registration lady tried to tell me that I had to get weight declared plates for it and I was not eligible for regular truck plates. After talking to her about it for a while she figured out I knew what I was talking about and she did give me regular truck plates. Point being, not everyone is clear on the law and some think they know it and are wrong. Thats why I post the exact law. I usually only do it for Michigan law as that is what I work with but there is a lot of misconception on the whole need for a CDL issue. I have almost given up as it seems like I am beating my head against the wall. The biggest problem is if you do get a ticket wrongfully it may be for two reasons. The first is the officer being mistaken on the law or the officer thinking you are lying to him about what you are doing. Either way you need to go to court armed with documentation to show you were operating within the law. That is where you are ahead of the game by wanting to see it in writing. If the officer thinks you are lying then you just have to convince the judge that you are not lying. That can be tough without any documentation. This may be the time to get a lawyer to help you. At any rate I will be driving my M818 around and may face these issues also at some time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks