• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL bidding 5/12/2016

tobyS

What happened to Government Liquidation auction today? About 1:00 I started getting this:

www.govliquidation.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

I checked back many times and get the same thing....but I did get an e-mail that says I was outbid...just great??

goldneagle

What happened to Government Liquidation auction today? About 1:00 I started getting this:

www.govliquidation.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

I checked back many times and get the same thing....but I did get an e-mail that says I was outbid...just great??
Could be the DNS server for your internet provider was down. Without a DNS server your browser cannot locate any web site unless you know the actual DNS address.

I had an issue with Charter last night when I lost internet access but was still issued my DNS address from the server.

tobyS

I have full internet access otherwise. I wouldn't be typing this if I didn't. Google and yahoo work fine. Try logging onto Government Liquidation and see what you get.

tobyS

I just did and it works flawlessly.

Not mine, I'm still getting the same thing. And when I try to go through google, the site comes up on the list but then won't open, giving the same error message. Everything else works fine. I will try a re-boot.

tobyS

Must be divine intervention telling me not to spend money at GL. I guess I'll follow up with my provider tomorrow. Thanks.

At 11;50 it worked fine and I logged right in. WTF
Couple of possibilities (too late this time, but may help you next time):
The DNS cache on your computer got corrupted. The OS keeps a DNS cache and checks that first when a name needs resolved.
Or
The DNS cache at your ISP's nameserver got corrupted. Same kinda thing. After checking local cache and getting no result, the ISP's DNS server gets checked next. It will try to return a cached entry if it thinks it has one.

If you run windows, you can flush your local DNS cache by opening a command prompt (must be opened with "Run as administrator") and issuing the command:
ipconfig /flushdns

You can't control your ISP's dns cache, though cached entries flush periodically. Usually 24 hours. The timer is per domain.
If that's where the problem is/was you are just kinda screwed until the bad entries flush, unless you can switch to different DNS servers.
Which brings me to the next thing.

If you have access to do it on your router, it's possible to configure the router to give out google's DNS servers instead of your ISP's when your computer requests it's networking information.
There are too many different routers for me to attempt to tell you how. But google's DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and are very reliable.
It's also possible to force the DNS servers in your network interface configuration.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine did the same thing. Started doing it at 3:30 tried for an hour and gave up. Everything worked but GL. Came back to computer 4 hours later and worked perfect. I didn't change or do anything to the computer in that 4 hours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks