• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL sticks it to the small guys BIG TIME!

FrankUSMC

This in my back yard. There are several scrap dealers here that already have contracks for the scrap off off Camp Lejuen and MCAS Cherry Point.
There is one big dealer here that is down the road from Camp Lejeune and that is White Owl Parts company. If you go to there web site you will see that they are so flooded with M35A2s that they have sliced there prices on them. Running driving M35A2s for $3500.
I am happy I have my two dream trucks.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, I have seen some trucks at Camp Lejeune that looked like they just came out of rebuild.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
White Owl is slammed , they wont be buying anything soon. I talked with the owner yesterday and found some armour and a few trucks I have never seen.

Most of there trucks have been there since I was a kid in the same spot.

EdMontana

emmado22 said:
How many scrap dealers are close to that location....................???????????
that's what I was about to ask......why a dealer in VA need to transport a deuce that come for $450 or so if he can scrap it in whatever State he purchased and make about $1,000 profit?

TacticalTruck

emmado22 said:
How many scrap dealers are close to that location....................???????????
That was my first thought. This idea was probably put together when scrap was high, now that the bottom dropped out of the scrap market it probably won't fly.
Jeff

HeadWizard

The key point here is that the MINIMUM bid price on this contract is 4.5% of the DLA price. That means a non-winch deuce would be $1876 - no matter the condition. Are any dealers going to bid that much - on EVERY truck that comes through? Imagine if 30% of the inventory comes through as crap.

I don't think it will happen.

If it does, it will just drive the prices up.

m376x6

I was lucky and got 120 a ton for scrap last week. Down from 270 a ton. With the economy in a tail spin no telling where scrap will end up. Concern over terrorists getting their hands on large numbers of military trucks and the embarrassment that would cause Gl and the Gov, they won't certainly be leaving the country. Deuces are not of any interest to medium or large scale commercial endeavors as a general rule of thumb. There's always the dreaming idiot rule where daydreaming takes the lead and some fellow just knows he can sell all the deuces he can get his hands on, that's possibly the most likely scenario outside of what will probably happen in that no one will take the contract and a lot of trucks will be offered up for auction sooner than later. Everyone may get the chance to buy deuces in running condition, with winches even, for less than a grand. I know I'd enjoy seeing that happen. There is always the law of supply and demand, and there are only so many of us out there with OD Fever. You folks are just going to have to cowboy up and understand you may have to have three, four, five or even more deuces more than what you have now and like it! :cry: So start saving your pennies now.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the other posters that this pilot program is being driven by the overwhelming number of M35A2s coming out of the system. I also believe that GL is tired of hearing us complain about the poor service we receive. I know we are right on this, but I would not underestimate the value to GL of eliminating the headache that we, the customers, give them!

With this said, I don't see this working as others have stated because no one is going to pay these prices across the board on trucks/trailers in varying conditions. With regard to a group buy, I doubt that will work either. How do you decide who gets which trucks? What do you do with the "leftovers"...that is, those trucks that no one wants? Also, can you imagine how long it will take to remove 30, 50, or a 100 trucks from Lejeune when I believe they only load-out on Mondays? You'd never get it done in four days each month. That base would be jammed up with tractor trailers coming and going. With that said, if you come up with a feasible group buy, count me in...I'll take all of the M35A3s and M939 series trucks that come out. You guys can have the deuces and the M809 series... :D

halftrack

If GL really wanted to increase sales and start moving trucks out, they would only need to get rid of some of thier crappy policies. First of all, when you limit loadouts to only 1 day a week, your cutting your customer base significantly. Secondly, LOADOUT ASSISTANCE is a MUST (to me this has to be one of the biggiest deterents of all). Thirdly, revamp the EUC crap. Yes, I know its a gov't thing but so was DRMO at one time. Look now, GL is basically DRMO.

I also notice GL is slow to put trucks up on auction. I have seen trucks at Shelby screened months ago to go on auction and then take forever to make it on the website.

To me, the can solve half the problems by just looking in the mirrror.

And may the 100 or so deuces that DD mentioned rest in peace.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there really that many deuces left to go through GL? I've heard a lot about some bases starting to dwindle down and dry up, or are these coming back from overseas?

halftrack

I just got finished reading the full contract and terms and conditions. They're joking right???? Who in thier right, sane mind would ever agree to a contract like that. I concur, it would not be benefical for even the big dealers to buy trucks in this manner. GL must be smoking some wacky tobacky.

On the other hand, if it was new refurbished 900 series trucks or A3's, thats a different story. However, they would all have to be like that. Just not a 1 or 2 here and there.

tiger422

For sure their will be scrap guys looking hard at this and if it's a money maker we are done bidding on trucks all over the US. If GL can make the same money with less paper and people why sell to us?
I don't like it at all.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camp Blanding is now paving about 7 acres at the USPFO whse. There is also another 10 acre dirt lot that is "chock full" of DRMO vehicles. Granted, there are a lot of "parts" trucks, but also a plentiful supply of good equipment ranging from 30KW generators to 5 tons to forklifts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks