• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glo plug help in Northeast Maryland

REDWOLF

I need to see if there is anyone close to Cecil county Maryland are that has changed the glo plugs in the M1009 trucks before ,that could assist me in replacing mine. I have had a brand new set in my truck for the past 8 mounths, waiting for my uncle / mecanic to help me with this and he is aparently to busy to help. So now that it is getting colder my truck sounds realy bad when it starts, until all the cilenders finaly fire. I just glad it starts at all. Thanks.

PS. I have been out of work sence july or i would just pay some shop to do it for me. I am looking at going over the road the first of the year with a trucking company so i need my truck in good working order for the wife if she has to use it.

idM1028

I did mine a couple months ago and they're easy. Think spark plugs on a gasser easy. Here's what I used:
1. PB blaster
2. Craftsman ratchet (the smallest one I had) with a deep well socket (can't remember the exact size, I just tested to fit. Try to use a regular hex socket if you have it.)
3. Anti-seize
Park the truck and wait for the engine to cool off. You'll see the plugs around the exhaust manifold. Each one has a green wire and connector running to it. Disconnect the connector/wire and unbolt the plug. I sprayed mine down with PB blaster to make it a bit easier. Put anti-seize on the threads of the new plug. Bolt it in. That easy. Took me an hour and a half and I was taking my sweet time. Now... I've heard of the plugs sometimes swelling up in the head causing them to crack off and do all other sorts of nasty things. If this happens, you're probably looking at pulling that cylinder head to get the plug out. There are some folks on here with glow plug removal tools (do a search) that from the sounds of it, can help with this.

Last edited:

dstang97

1) unplug glow plow
2) get a 10mm deep wall socket
3) unscrew glow plug
4) screw in new glow plug
5) plug glow plug in

That's it

REDWOLF

10 4. Just can not aford my truck to be down sence it is my daly driver. But i am going to have to bit the bullet and just give it a shot and see what happens. Soner or later it is not going to start at all with the bad plugs in there.

K9Vic

I would highly suggest the 12v bypass to ensure your investment will last as long as possible (search will find many post on this). If you ever have to slave jump it just put 12v on the front battery to power the glow plug system.

idM1028

10 4. Just can not aford my truck to be down sence it is my daly driver. But i am going to have to bit the bullet and just give it a shot and see what happens. Soner or later it is not going to start at all with the bad plugs in there.
I'm in the same boat, but when I did it, I swear I was tempting Murphy. I think that was the ONLY repair job/maintenance I've ever done that went better than expected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks