• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug “ON” light

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve seen several stories of failed glow plugs secondary to faulty control boxes or battery user error from plugs staying ‘on’ constantly.

Some have suggested wiring up a light that is on (or off) when the glow plugs are on as the timing light has nothing to do with whether the glow plugs are actually ‘on’.

Can someone go through how they would do this??

Would you only using one of the glow plugs for the signal or is there a ‘common’ wire that feeds all of them as a signal to use?

Is there a ‘kit’ or pre made harness that might do this???

Thanks for any help.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’ve seen several stories of failed glow plugs secondary to faulty control boxes or battery user error from plugs staying ‘on’ constantly.

Some have suggested wiring up a light that is on (or off) when the glow plugs are on as the timing light has nothing to do with whether the glow plugs are actually ‘on’.

Can someone go through how they would do this??

Would you only using one of the glow plugs for the signal or is there a ‘common’ wire that feeds all of them as a signal to use?

Is there a ‘kit’ or pre made harness that might do this???

Thanks for any help.
Suggest that you search and there is a guy here with parts available to solve your problems.

@Milcommoguy has done a lot of writing about the HMMWV and wiring and glowplugs and cleaning up the connections in the wiring harness.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can tie any 24V lamp from the common or any single glow plug line to ground, does not need to be an LED

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Almost right. As drawn one would need a current limited resistor. Try a 680 ohm resistor 1/4 watt in series with the device as drawn or it will be toast before you can say papa...kb.

28 volt military style panel lamp and housing works nice.

CAMO said that.

papakb

If you use one of the standard military LED lamps like the one in your picture there's no additional resistor required. That's why I didn't add one to the drawing. The military does have splitters for certain applications but there's no place to put one in the glow plug harness so you'll just have to splice your lamp into the wiring. Make sure you get the lamp polarity correct or it won't light up.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You cannot "split" the common wire with anything plug and play, the "bullet" connectors (actually called Packard connectors) you referred to cannot carry nearly enough current to be in the common cable, I just skinned back a little insulation from one of the single wires and soldered a wire to it for the lamp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks