• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GMC M215 pics

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Color

That truck is awesome I wish my dad was alive to see it he was an Army Engineer in WW II. Good choice on 29 ID: WW I, WW II, SFOR, IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN a unit I am proud to have served in.
29 LETS GO

M215

new pictures

Thanks fellow SS members for the kind words about the dumper, it continues to be my favorite MV. These are not the best pictures but shows the markings we ended up using. I could not find any accurate info on the proper Seabees markings for this era. The local VA National Guard was part of the 29th ID 229 Engineers so we went that route.

Thanks again, Karl

Attachments

M-37Bruce

Re: Color

M215 said:
What shade green is that?
I painted this truck with Gillespie #34087 Lusterless Khaki Olive Drab, which may not be 100% correct for this truck's era. #24087 Semi-gloss OD was not standard until 1957 (?) and since the truck is a 1953 that was one of the reasons for the color choice. I have painted two vehicles in the Veitnam #24087 and was never happy with the end result, either too shinny or the paint was to soft and not very durable. I have been very happy with the #34087.

I'll need to update the pictures of the dumper, since those were posted it has received it's markings. Ended up marking it as Army 29th ID engineers.

Plans are to have it at Aberdeen in 08.

Thanks, Karl
Like everyone has said, very nice job! Here's one that I am going to use, from the Atlantic Seabee Battalion. I also have a couple done by Disney, very nice , but under a copy write gag!

Attachments

M215

Front marker lights

nattieleather
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 - 04:09 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the turn signals you put on the front marker lights. Was that a GI item or did you modify a lens cover somehow?
The front turn signal lights were made by milling out the face of a standard marker light and attaching a full amber cover. Easy to unscrew and replace with original cover if ever needed for shows. Rear lights are the full red cover used on the Gama-goat. I utilized the black out lighting wires for turn signal system when the NOS wiring harness was installed.

Karl

butch atkins

paint color

makes me wish i hadnt already bought 4 gals ,12 spray bombs ,24087,from rapco,already started painting,engine and front end components,i wonder if rapco would let me exchange unused cans of paint,lol,seriously your truck is awesome,and i am glad it turned out so well for you,that color looks so much better than the 24087,the motor in my m211 was that color,when i first bought it ,didnt know it was the original color,the fire dept,painted the inner fender wells,and underneath all axles black,and the body and interior red,and whenj i sanded through it it was 24087 color underneath the red/black,oh well live and learn,anyway nice truck you have,LOVE MY GMC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks