• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat suspension sagging on drivers front ?

Al Capone

Has anyone else run into sagging suspension on drivers side front ? I bought a used coil spring and replaced it and vehicle set correct for few days and one test drive around neighborhood . Then today I moved it and. It's sagging again ?

Jericho

One of mine does, BUT , it doesn't affect performance, But I have noticed a stiffness in the shock on that side and as I get in and out there is a noticeable squeak as if the shock is shot and sticking, winter project

Al Capone

I can see about one inch difference between bump stop and top a arm. It's weird . I changed spring after it was sitting on jack stands for few weeks and it sat perfect for while . But now back sagging . Very weird . Has to be in the a arm bushings .

Gamagoat1

The tractor rear diff is designed to rotate in bearings on it's front and rear. Make sure it's free to do so. The bearings have a grease zerk for grease if it's not all rusted. jack it up and remove or disconnect both shocks. The whole diff and wheel assembly should rock. If it's solid then that will explain the droop on one side. The springs would have to take a real load to compress perm. Damage would show.....

Gamagoat1

The TRACTOR rear diff or center diff Al. If it's prevented from rolling it will prevent the tractor from sitting level. Mine did the same thing, after replacing springs on the front and no change, I bought and consulted the manuals. Removed the diff cleaned and lubed, guess what it set level...

AMGeneral

I know this will sound odd,but I had the same problems with my Goat,and did exactly as Gamagoat1 has described to the rear differential,even replaced the front spring as you did,nothing helped at all.

What eventually did fix the problem was to align the front end(camber,caster and toe in) then it finally set level at rest.

It turned out that it had excessive negative camber on the drivers side(the low side in the case of my Goat),this may be something to check.

I talked about it in this thread,post #86

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?136975-My-new-to-me-Gama-Goat/page9&highlight=Gama+Goat

Last edited:

Al Capone

Drivers side is what's low on mine also . I think part of all of my problem is the upper a arm bushings . They are bad . Has anyone find these ?

Al Capone

So I thought about this issue some more . And seem to have fixed it . This machine been siting many years . I had only drive it around yard and once around block . So I drive it on a hill in my yard on passenger front and compressed suspension . After this a Few times it all leveled back out . I think lot of suspension must be sticking due to not being used and compressed . So it seems it just needs some off-roading ! Lol . To loosen up suspension. These things kinda tough to steer at low speeds it seems but drive good going down road .

Gamagoat1

So I thought about this issue some more . And seem to have fixed it . This machine been siting many years . I had only drive it around yard and once around block . So I drive it on a hill in my yard on passenger front and compressed suspension . After this a Few times it all leveled back out . I think lot of suspension must be sticking due to not being used and compressed . So it seems it just needs some off-roading ! Lol . To loosen up suspension. These things kinda tough to steer at low speeds it seems but drive good going down road .

Al,
Here are a couple of pictures of the bearings on each end of the tractor rear diff. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but these were always overlooked when lube time came. If they stick at all the truck will list to one side or the other. If they are rusted stuck, like many are, They will not move till you off road it then they can either break off or tear a hole in the front bulkhead where it was once bolted.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Last edited: