• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to have to replace some floor pans have a question

spankybear

My LMTV has more holes in the floorboards than I want to deal with. I am going to replace the rusty parts. So when you remove the rusty parts and you are going to install the replacement. How do you prep/seal the exciting structure/flanges. I am not to sure what it's called but the parts that the floor pans is spot welded. The braces, brackets, body ect. There are flanges that are spot welded. I don't want rust to start there. Since I am going to be welding I can't paint it. Is there a way to stop and or prevent these areas form rusting? I sure hope I am making sense. This is uncharted water for me. But not out the realm what I am willing to tackle.

nyoffroad

Have you used this before? How well does it work? Is there any issues you had using it?
I've used it, works good but splatters a LOT, shake well then shake some more, when you think your done shaking shake for bit more because the tip clogs easily! Also works great on exhaust pipes to keep them rust free.

CMPPhil

Not all Weld Through primers are created equal

I've used it, works good but splatters a LOT, shake well then shake some more, when you think your done shaking shake for bit more because the tip clogs easily! Also works great on exhaust pipes to keep them rust free.
Hi Guys

Not all weld through primers are created equal. I have been working on a restoration project not MV that has required extensive welding of newly made body and structural parts. In doing this I have tried several, though not all, of the different rattle can weld through primers.

Couple of different issues:

What are you welding with, mig, tig, or pinch spot welding. Different ones seem to work better than others depending on the type of weld. Have not tried it with oxy/ace

Are you welding clean fresh steel to clean fresh steel, or new steel to existing metal with some surface rust.

NAPA- Zinc Weld Thru Primer 7221- Good rust protection after the weld, have a sample hanging out in the drip area from the shop roof, gets wet when it rains, several years painted area no rust. Spot welds nicely, but mig weld it is hard to get a smooth weld even on fresh steel to fresh steel, lots of splater.

SEM 40783 Copperweld is the best I have found, quite frankly after finding things I stopped looking. Spot welds very well, mig welds nearly as smooth as bare fresh steel.

Now as to what chemicals either of these are giving off when welding no idea. I always use a supply air welding helmet for welding anyway. Would recommended good ventilation.

Cheers Phil

Warren Lovell

Make sure you use a seam sealer on replacement metal joints if you are not circumference welding the patch. Seam sealer cannot be applied over an etching primer...fyi. So if you etch it, spray it with epoxy primer and then seam seal it...or buy the seam sealer that is direct to metal applied...then prime and paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks