• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going up on driveway, then stalls????

Going up on driveway, then stalls???? (SOLVED???)

Hey all, got a quick question that I need some opinions on. I have a 1985 M1009 CUCV that's pretty much as stock as can be. I noticed today that when going up on my driveway (which is a little steep to be honest) from a standstill, I would rev up the engine a bit and make it up my driveway. However today the truck stalled once I got up it. So I started up the truck, and went down my driveway and drove up it again to see if I could replicate the problem. The RPM's would dip very low but didn't stall and very quickly recover. Here is some information that is important to note. This only happened when the truck would be revved up pretty quickly to get over my ramp, then I snapped my foot off the accelerator (quickly letting off the pedal) and that's what made it stall from higher RPM's. Obviously if I let off slowly this wouldn't happen, but I am not convinced this is normal. I recently changed my fuel pump (not injector pump) and all the air has been bled out as good as can be as far as I know. Starting is very easy on the truck, and runs in the city and highway like a champ. Even the idle is as stable as can be. Could it be just the way how I drove my truck today? Thanks for the input, keeping my fingers crossed! Oh! And she has 83000 miles on her!

Last edited:

Barrman

Play with it in park and see if you can make it stall by snapping on and off the throttle. You will probably find a starting rpm that will cause it to stall every time. If so, your IP is going.

I heard it could be a sticky governor in the IP, I might try putting in some diesel kleen (maybe a few times) to see if the situation gets any better at all. I'm baffled by how smooth this truck runs and starts and idles, yet showed signs of weakness here. Will follow up with results

Posting a follow up. I used a bit more than the suggested amount of "diesel kleen" and the problem seemed to have gone away completely. Not sure if this is just a bandaid over the real (potential problem that may sooner or later arise, although for now, I have experienced great luck with this method. I noticed some good power increase as well as no more stalling of any kind, no matter how hard I try to get it to stall. Either by going up hill or revving in neutral. I shall keep my fingers crossed. (maybe it was a sticky governer)

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use power service in my cucv's and tractors every time I fill up year around. With ulsd it needs lubrication all the time not just once every few tanks. Buy clean fuel, keep it clean, and add some form of proven lubrication additive!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks